Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First World Problems

If waiting / hand washing isn't acceptable, could the unit be repaired to be used until the desired new model arrives, and then sold to recoup some (if not all) of the cost? Option 3 ftw!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Interesting thread. Not too long ago we had a dishwasher installed at the house. I posted about this before. We have reached a compromise at Casa Rob - we only use it when we cook time consuming meals for family.

I don't even want to touch it as I understand that if it breaks down; good luck finding parts - labor we've got covered by handyman in.the neighborhood. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    And I didn't address the OP's question.

Although I believe much of what I have posted about the US remains true - one thing does not. I have come to understand from being low level management that my work.related issues have come from low self-,esteem
    I'd bet this is a problem that goes way.beyond pertaining to the First World. Rob

I can relate to this topic on a few levels. First my one son has always said to me when I would complain about this that or something…like the cafe forgot my froth on top of my latte. Oh gosh he would say First World problem mom! Now I say that line first before complaining that I can not get this that or something, but sometimes I think it’s ok to complain if we are used to a level of service or goods.

I thought it was just me. I still have paper work the original owner left for my dishwasher, purchased in 1978. I used to brag about mid-century quality but a couple of years ago it quit working. The big box stores have not offered any hope for a white dishwasher to match my other appliances, not even as a backorder. Plus there have been times when I've not wanted workmen in the house. I'll probably try again in the springtime and it hasn't been a big deal. Actually, in my youth dishwashing was sort of a shared family ritual.

Yes, we are spoiled, but whether it's a problem might vary depending on the person. I dry clothes on the line most of the year and could easily get along without a drier and went years without air conditioning in the house or car, but they are nice to have. Some of the photos I've seen of European appliances and kitchens shows much smaller sized appliances.

I actually think people's obsession with cell phones and Facebook is a problem, but that seems to be nearly global. They do have their place though.

Until two years ago when was the last time any of us with the money couldn’t get what we wanted? Probably during WWII.

I agree. A dishwasher is a silly hill to die on. But if your whole life has been ‘I want this. I will go buy it now’. And suddenly you can’t. That’s a big deal.

And WWII sacrifices were *for* something, this is just fate, a badly managed global virus, a mangled supply chain etc.. It's not for something, it doesn't win the war, or anything else. It just is.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information