Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

I just finished The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. This book is much beloved by many, an epic drama family type of book, and definitely written for a female audience. I didn't really love it, although I didn't exactly dislike it either. It was very easy to put down and it took me about 2 weeks to read. In hindsight, that time would have been better spent on other books.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I just finished The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. This book is much beloved by many, an epic drama family type of book, and definitely written for a female audience. I didn't really love it, although I didn't exactly dislike it either. It was very easy to put down and it took me about 2 weeks to read. In hindsight, that time would have been better spent on other books.
    Oh my, that brings back memories. That was top of the bestseller list. I remember managing waiting lists for it back in the day days of yore of being a librarian.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    How do you like it? I heard rave reviews.
    So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh my, that brings back memories. That was top of the bestseller list. I remember managing waiting lists for it back in the day days of yore of being a librarian.
    The copy I read (via inter-library loan and renewed once) was certainly very well-loved. The librarian apologized for the condition when I checked it out and made a point of informing me that it was another library's ratty-looking book, lol.

My son recommended and loaned me his copy of Lincoln In the Bardo by George Saunders. Such a unique approach and premise! I'm loving it so far.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Horse by Geraldine Brooks- I can't put it down. It jumps from 1800s to 2001 but it flows well and it not jarring., the way some authors do-remembering my most recent book The Lions of Fifth Avenue- that jumped but was confusing and not done deftly.

Finally finished reading "Educated" by Tara Westover. I was very reluctant at first to read it. Also being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as she was raised, I wasn't interested in reading of her dysfunctional LDS family. At the beginning of her story, she stated her book was not about "Mormonism", I took that with a grain of salt and read on. I am happy to say I know of no LDS families that were like hers. The book really was about despite it all - through hard work and others believing in her, she became educated. She received her doctorate in Intellectual History, 2014.

Now reading - Auschwitz by Laurence Rees. I really don't have words to describe my feelings about how the Jewish people were rounded up and put in these concentration camps, and then killed by the thousands each and every day. How did we ever come to that point? The first book I read on the Holocaust was Simon Wiesenthal's The Murders Among Us. and it had a very powerful impact on me. A couple years later as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in South Australia, we met an elderly lady who was a camp survivor. She showed us her ID tattoo on her arm and the backs of her hands that were broken in the camp and left to heal on their own, unset and crooked. I don't think we will ever again see the concentration camps and death like happened in Auschwitz - but times change very quickly. We must always be vigilant in making sure it never does.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Finally finished reading "Educated" by Tara Westover. I was very reluctant at first to read it. Also being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as she was raised, I wasn't interested in reading of her dysfunctional LDS family. At the beginning of her story, she stated her book was not about "Mormonism", I took that with a grain of salt and read on. I am happy to say I know of no LDS families that were like hers. The book really was about despite it all - through hard work and others believing in her, she became educated. She received her doctorate in Intellectual History, 2014.
    Her father ran a cult. That isn’t LDS, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    … I don't think we will ever again see the concentration camps and death like happened in Auschwitz - but times change very quickly. We must always be vigilant in making sure it never does.
    We have seen several genocide efforts like that of Hitler. Pol Pot. The Tutsis and the Hutsis. Bosnia. Now Uygars in China.

Its just that the Germans were so damned efficient, they could process large numbers.

Thread Information