Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

It was awful, and you wonder how someone can go from adorable 6th grader with all that promise to stone cold killer in five years.

I've really fallen behind, maybe I was too busy reading!
    Thief River Falls by Brian Freeman - Action/adventure/thriller with the now obligatory plot twist that I would rate as mediocre.
    Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann (non fiction) - A horrifying and depressing history lesson about the systematic murders of the oil-rich Osage Indians in Oklahoma.
    Atomic Habits by James Clear (non fiction) - A worthwhile read, although I think he could have made his points with a lot fewer words.
    Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt - I loved this book so much, about a senior widow, a disenfranchised young man, and an incredibly wise octopus. I couldn't put it down but I never wanted it to end. Alas, a very quick read.
    Unspeakable Things by Jess Lourey - decent thriller by a very likeable 12-year-old female narrator.
    In an Instant by Suzanne Redfearn - Another excellent read narrated by a very lovable, dead, 16-year-old narrator. It's the compelling tale of a group of people caught in a tragic event, and raises a lot of questions about what constitutes being a good person, heroism vs. cowardice, where to draw the line between "putting on your own oxygen mask first" and a ruthless willingness to sacrifice others for one's own well-being.

Rosa, I just bought Remarkably Bright Creatures based on your recommendation.

After watching the film My Octopus Teacher and having, in the back of my mind, the true story (? I think?) of an octopus that keeps escaping from an acquarium, .i am intrigued by the subject.

I'm in a mood lately. I read Afternoons with Harper Lee by Wayne Flynt, followed by Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee, and now am following it up with Atticus Finch: The Biography.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rosa, I just bought Remarkably Bright Creatures based on your recommendation.

After watching the film My Octopus Teacher and having, in the back of my mind, the true story (? I think?) of an octopus that keeps escaping from an acquarium, .i am intrigued by the subject.
    I hope you don't find it too sappy, IL. It is a sweet book, but I really enjoyed it. I'll be interested in hearing what you think.

Regenesis by the British environmentalist George Monbiot - about how industrial scale farming is the biggest polluter of all. It is not sustainable for our world population so new ways of growing food will have to emerge. Lab grown microbes anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Regenesis by the British environmentalist George Monbiot - about how industrial scale farming is the biggest polluter of all. It is not sustainable for our world population so new ways of growing food will have to emerge. Lab grown microbes anyone??
    I think you and I should start our own book club. You always post books that sound right up my alley! I just made DH watch the movie Kiss the Ground because he didn't know, and he didn't believe that industrial farming leads to dust bowl conditions, and that rich topsoil is disappearing at alarming rates.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think you and I should start our own book club. You always post books that sound right up my alley! I just made DH watch the movie Kiss the Ground because he didn't know, and he didn't believe that industrial farming leads to dust bowl conditions, and that rich topsoil is disappearing at alarming rates.
    My brother in law, recently deceased, was a pioneer in no-till agriculture. He was a farmer with a Ph.d who did the research and then applied it at his own property.

DH owns a farm in the heartland of giant agriculture country. No-til methods are widely used there.

It is not true that “industrial farming leads to dust bowl conditions, and that rich topsoil is disappearing at an alarming rate” although certainly some ‘traditional-not-modern’ farming methods harm soil substrata.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My brother in law, recently deceased, was a pioneer in no-till agriculture. He was a farmer with a Ph.d who did the research and then applied it at his own property.

DH owns a farm in the heartland of giant agriculture country. No-til methods are widely used there.

It is not true that “industrial farming leads to dust bowl conditions, and that rich topsoil is disappearing at an alarming rate” although certainly some ‘traditional-not-modern’ farming methods harm soil substrata.
    I am certainly no expert and would never claim to be, but from what I have read topsoil is, indeed, eroding and degenerating.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ars-180979936/

I just don't see, from a common sense point-of-view, how invading the natural process of life is going to end well for the natural processes of life.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am certainly no expert and would never claim to be, but from what I have read topsoil is, indeed, eroding and degenerating.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ars-180979936/

I just don't see, from a common sense point-of-view, how invading the natural process of life is going to end well for the natural processes of life.
    Ha ha Central Iowa where this research took place is exactly where our farm is And where my brother-in-law was a professor at the Ag college.

It is true that decades of traditional farming has seen a loss in topsoil. But in my immediate circle of influence, No til methods are bigger than what this Smithsonian article says. But OK maybe we are just extra special people, who knows.

Thread Information