Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

What are you reading - 2022?

I recently finished The Arsonist by Sue Miller, which I really liked. I've always enjoyed her books for a strong sense of place (New England!) and I think she draws rich and interesting characters. This book included a recently retired couple where the husband was in the early stages of Alzheimer's, and I found that part almost too painful (and I thought of you, Beckyliz).
    I'm currently reading The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline and I like it so far. It's about a young woman in the 1800s who is transported as a criminal from England to Australia.

I think someone mentioned Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer in the 2021 thread. DH gave me a copy for Christmas, and I just started it last night. I know I'm going to like this book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm reading The Premonition: A Pandemic story, by Michael Lewis. It starts with a glimpse into the life of Public Health Director Charity Dean, which in itself would probably make a good book. It's engaging so far.

“How far from Austerlitz” by Alastair Horne. It covers Napoleon’s career from Austerlitz to Waterloo. A brilliant, amoral guy who probably influenced our world more than simple beasts like Hitler or Stalin did.

Rosaruga - I've heard a lot of good reviews of Sue Miller's works.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Rosaruga - I've heard a lot of good reviews of Sue Miller's works.
    I bet you would like her. I don't know if the Alzheimer's aspect would resonate with you - "I can relate to that" or repel you - "I have enough of that in real life and don't need it in my fiction."
    When my dad was dying of cancer in 1983, "Terms of Endearment" was a popular movie, but it was years before I could watch it. I know that one size doesn't fit all with these things.

Terms of Endearment is rough. Also, I remember watching Dad with Jack Lemmon, Ted Danson and Olympia Dukakis. My son, who was probably about 10 at the time was watching it with me, and at the end he turned to me and said, "That was such a good mov...." but he couldn't finish his sentence because he was just sobbing. And I was with him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Aw Catherine, what a poignant moment.

Right now I'm reading "Facing the Mountain," by Daniel James Brown, for a book club. Also simultaneously looking through "Children of Ash and Elm" by Neil Price, and "Down to Earth" by Rhonda Hetzel.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I finished The Exiles, and I would recommend it if you liked books such as Orphan Train by the same author. It also reminded me a bit of Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes.
    Now I'm reading Alas, Babylon, based on a recommendation and discussion started here by Ultralight in 2018! I am enjoying it so far.

Yppej
    Wrestling With the Devil by a Kenyan political prisoner. I relate a little bit because I am dealing with a dictatorial and hypocritical city government.

Thread Information