Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

With a strong recommendation, I got "Thank you for Being Late" by Thomas Friedman. The recommendation mentioned coping with the rapid pace of innovation and its implementation. So far, so good.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just finished Shuggie Bain. Good but a hard read. Very much in the Angela's Ashes hard core childhood vein.

I finished Alas, Babylon and I really enjoyed it. It kind of made me think of The Stand, but 1950s style. OF course, The Stand is hardly current fiction anymore either (1978). Time sure does fly by.

Yppej
    Still Life a novel about regular English people in Italy, not your typical literary expats

I just finished Born Bright by C. Nicole Mason. Non-fiction for a change, it's the story of a very smart black girl born into poverty in the USA, and how difficult it was to escape those early circumstances.

I'm really making progress on finishing the books that have been on my list the longest. However, I'm adding to the list on the other end at an even faster rate, and life is just too short! I will try to console myself with the notion that I will probably die with a pile of books I look forward to reading. I imagine that the optimism will be a good thing even if if it's not humanly possible to ever read all the great books out there in one lifetime.

Latest read from my list was Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I thought it was rather a magnificent book with richly complex characters. In a nutshell, it is a story of a marriage. To poach from the Amazon description, "Fates and Furies is a literary masterpiece that defies expectation. A dazzling examination of a marriage, it is also a portrait of creative partnership written by one of the best writers of her generation. Every story has two sides. Every relationship has two perspectives. And sometimes, it turns out, the key to a great marriage is not its truths but its secrets. At the core of this rich, expansive, layered novel, Lauren Groff presents the story of one such marriage over the course of twenty-four years."
    I highly recommend it.
    Iris: I think you would like this one if you haven't already read it, but I've been wrong before.

Reading on Hoopla… The Life She Was Given by Wiseman. Holding my interest..

Willie Nelson's Letters to America

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Latest read from my list was Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I thought it was rather a magnificent book with richly complex characters. In a nutshell, it is a story of a marriage. To poach from the Amazon description, "Fates and Furies is a literary masterpiece that defies expectation. A dazzling examination of a marriage, it is also a portrait of creative partnership written by one of the best writers of her generation. Every story has two sides. Every relationship has two perspectives. And sometimes, it turns out, the key to a great marriage is not its truths but its secrets. At the core of this rich, expansive, layered novel, Lauren Groff presents the story of one such marriage over the course of twenty-four years."
    I highly recommend it.
    Iris: I think you would like this one if you haven't already read it, but I've been wrong before.
    That sounds good, Rosa, thanks.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Don’t You Know There’s a War On?

It’s about the World War II US home front. I’ve been on a World War II kick lately.

I’ve just dipped into it so far but good.

Thread Information