Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

Yppej
    Paradise Falls about working class women who fought against injustice on behalf of their kids at Love Canal. I see parallels to today.

I just finished 2 novels. They were both OK reads, but nothing spectacular:
    Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan - Irish immigrant family saga
    Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay - story about a teen girl who is possessed or having a psychotic breakdown. I expected to like it more than I did.

I just finished Natural Causes by Barbara Ehrenreich. I think Jane might have recommended it; actually, I think she might have written it under a pen name.
    I would kind of sum it up as "exercise, eat right, live a healthy lifestyle and die anyway." Also, the medical establishment doesn't know as much as we would hope (but hey, it's still usually better than the alternatives to a science-based approach).

This was book #26 for 2022 and I've finished off another page of "the list."

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I just finished Natural Causes by Barbara Ehrenreich. I think Jane might have recommended it; actually, I think she might have written it under a pen name.
    I would kind of sum it up as "exercise, eat right, live a healthy lifestyle and die anyway." Also, the medical establishment doesn't know as much as we would hope (but hey, it's still usually better than the alternatives to a science-based approach).

I think I read that a while back and liked it also.

Or not! I have 4 instances where this was not the case. Sometimes the docs just prescribe drugs or procedures to make extra cash.

Hahaha! I would also like to take credit for The Last Well Person which I wrote under the nom de plume Norton M Hadler.

I just finished a novel that I really liked a lot. I'm surprised it never got more fame, since it reminded me a bit of Where the Crawdads Sing, and I thought it was every bit as good. The book was The Lightkeepers by Abby Geni, published in 2016. It's a human drama/psychological suspense novel about a nature photographer set on the Farallon Islands, so the setting was also very interesting and an important part of the story.

Yppej
    Because Our Fathers Lied by Robert McNamara's son, autobiography

I've read 3 more books since my last post (two were real quickies):
    You Should have Left by Daniel Kehlmann - short but delightfully creepy little story, almost Lovecraftian in some respects
    Possums are Not Cute by Ally Burguieres - a sweet little book with lots of photos by an opossum rescuer
    News of the World by Paulette Jiles - I loved this book SO much! Lainey had recommended it on this forum in 2019 when I posted that I was reading True Grit. It was somewhat of a western (and I don't really care for westerns), but for me the story, characters and relationships transcended the genre. I highly recommend it.

I've read 3 more books since my last post (two were real quickies):
    You Should have Left by Daniel Kehlmann - short but delightfully creepy little story, almost Lovecraftian in some respects
    Possums are Not Cute by Ally Burguieres - a sweet little book with lots of photos by an opossum rescuer
    News of the World by Paulette Jiles - I loved this book SO much! Lainey had recommended it on this forum in 2019 when I posted that I was reading True Grit. It was somewhat of a western (and I don't really care for westerns), but for me the story, characters and relationships transcended the genre. I highly recommend it.
    I watched the movie starring Tom Hanks and did not care for it. The book is usually better anyway IMO.

Thread Information