Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 454

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

  1. #351
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,515
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We have seen several genocide efforts like that of Hitler. Pol Pot. The Tutsis and the Hutsis. Bosnia. Now Uygars in China.

    Its just that the Germans were so damned efficient, they could process large numbers.
    Yes, I've read lots and lots of books about the Holocaust, and there is something extra horrifying about factory efficiency methods applied to genocide. This is not to say that inefficient, garden-variety homicide isn't horrible enough.

  2. #352
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,762
    I have to say, I also admire the record-keeping that was done by the Germans during the Holocaust. At the very least, I'm sure it helped families in their quest to learn the fate of their relatives after the war.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  3. #353
    Senior Member littlebittybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We have seen several genocide efforts like that of Hitler. Pol Pot. The Tutsis and the Hutsis. Bosnia. Now Uygars in China.

    Its just that the Germans were so damned efficient, they could process large numbers.
    I've done reading on that subject; quite a bit, really. Also listened to online interviews and lectures. You know how I am interested in the macabre. But, it appears to me that there are numerous, serious discrepancies in the narratives of at least ONE of these cases of genocide. But, it's hard to argue with the Tee-vee and moo-vee educated; they'll just shut you out. It's a case of Zillionaire mooo-vee producers VS the findings of littlebittymee. Who ya gonna believe? Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

  4. #354
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    23,175
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    I've done reading on that subject; quite a bit, really. Also listened to online interviews and lectures. You know how I am interested in the macabre. But, it appears to me that there are numerous, serious discrepancies in the narratives of at least ONE of these cases of genocide. But, it's hard to argue with the Tee-vee and moo-vee educated; they'll just shut you out. It's a case of Zillionaire mooo-vee producers VS the findings of littlebittymee. Who ya gonna believe? Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.
    i will not be believing YOU so thankk Mee.

  5. #355
    Senior Member littlebittybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i will not be believing YOU so thankk Mee.
    Okay---Youu have Oliver Stone, Moo-vee director of mixed heritage, who made a moo-vee about the JFK assassination, that influenced a lot of people, but also drew much criticism. A few years ago, Stone was interviewed and announced his plan to make a moo-vee about WW2, that deviated from official accounts, because he believes the popularly-accepted narrative by certain faction(s) needed clarification. I definitely agree with that. But, as far as I know, he has not been allowed to make the film, by those who facilitate film-making. See? So yeah---you know who controls you & almost everyone else: the ones whose POV you are not allowed to challenge! Yup. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

  6. #356
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,601
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay---Youu have Oliver Stone, Moo-vee director of mixed heritage, who made a moo-vee about the JFK assassination, that influenced a lot of people, but also drew much criticism. A few years ago, Stone was interviewed and announced his plan to make a moo-vee about WW2, that deviated from official accounts, because he believes the popularly-accepted narrative by certain faction(s) needed clarification. I definitely agree with that. But, as far as I know, he has not been allowed to make the film, by those who facilitate film-making. See? So yeah---you know who controls you & almost everyone else: the ones whose POV you are not allowed to challenge! Yup. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.
    OK Kanye.

  7. #357
    Senior Member littlebittybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    OK Kanye.
    See? Shows how you can get in more trouble telling the truth, than telling a lie. Yup. Guess I won't be making any paid endorsements for noo shoes. But guess what? I wear Skechers from Academy, though I see there's a Skechers store opening up, here. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

  8. #358
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,601
    I like Skechers.

  9. #359
    Senior Member Greg44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    946
    In addition to reading "Auschwitz" as I previously mentioned, I am also reading The Judge's List - John Grisham. I am enjoying them both so much. I have learned so much more about "back story" about Auschwitz that I hadn't learned before. I went down the YouTube rabbit hole with John Grisham this afternoon. I like his books and he as a person. Watched a great interview session (Library fundraiser) between him and Stephen King. I am not into Stephen King's books, but it was interesting to them talk about getting started writing and how they first found financial success.

  10. #360
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,762
    "An Inconvenient Apocalypse" by Wes Jackson and Robert Jensen.

    It's basically a primer on how best to create a soft landing for the collapse that's sure to come before too many decades pass.

    "Wes Jackson and Robert Jensen argue that we must reconsider the origins of the consumption crisis and the challenges we face in creating a survivable future. Longstanding assumptions about economic growth and technological progress—the dream of a future of endless bounty—are no longer tenable. The climate crisis has already progressed beyond simple or nondisruptive solutions. The end result will be apocalyptic; the only question now is how bad it will be."

    The tone of the book isn't doom and gloom--it's basically a realistic assessment of how denialism led us down a path that simply can't go on forever.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •