Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 254

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

  1. #171
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,262
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Did she go through Nevada? Did the horse have a name? (now I will have that playing in my head all day.)
    I'm not that far in the book. But it's not your modern day story where people blog as they go along. It was in the 1950's and she had no phone, no credit cards, no bank account/ATM card, no GPS, etc. Looking at the pictures she just took off with her horse and her dog.

  2. #172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    113
    Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse takes place in a fantasy world inspired by pre invasion Central America. A solar eclipse is forecast for the Winter solstice in the holy city of Tova, many people travel there for the event called the Convergence. Xiala, a sailor, wakes up after a night of booze and fighting in the local jail. She is bailed out by a powerful merchant lord and given a ship and crew in exchange for making sure a passenger arrives in Tova for the eclipse. Serapio has spent much of his life preparing for the eclipse and his plan to use it's magic to revive the Crow God. Naranpa rose from the slums to become the Sun Priest, many of the elite clans think only one of their own should hold such a powerful position.

    At first the story can be confusing since it goes back and forth in time to tell a character's back story and how they're connected to the Convergence. The beginning of each chapter says where it is in the timeline relative to the Convergence, The chapters are short and the plot moves quickly.

    Fevered Star is a sequel to Black Sun and begins right after the events in Black Sun. The three hundred year old treaty that kept the peace is now broken and the factions seek alliances and prepare for war. Serapio deals with confusion and different parties in the Crow clan want to use him for their own ends. Nanranpa makes some discoveries about the Celestial Tower and her Order while her brother takes advantage of her new abilities and uses her to make his own alliances. Even though she is not sure she can keep the promises her brother makes. Xiala finds herself on a diplomatic mission where she sees herself as Serapio's spy, At the gathering of diplomats she sees someone she never expected to see. New character points of view are added. The story stays in the present and moves very fast with short chapters. It is easy to play one more chapter and realize it's 3am and your really need to go to bed.

  3. #173
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,091
    I think I have a new favorite horror writer! I just finished The Chalk Man by CK Tudor. I thought it was deliciously creepy and quite well-written, and I enjoyed it very much. I'll definitely be reading more by her!

  4. #174
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,963
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think I have a new favorite horror writer! I just finished The Chalk Man by CK Tudor. I thought it was deliciously creepy and quite well-written, and I enjoyed it very much. I'll definitely be reading more by her!
    I read that but do not remember anything about it other than I thought it was… Decent. For a thriller type of book.

  5. #175
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,091
    IL: I searched to see if this book was mentioned on this Forum, and here is what you said about it in July 2018:

    Finished The Chalk Man, a murder mystery set in England in 1986.I dont know why I read murder mysteries, they just make me mad. I blame Rosa for her enticing reviews. I will say that this one had a good long set up with lots of complexity in the plot, and good characterization. But there was too much going on, yet the end was lazy.

    This reminds me of a thought I had recently. How about if we do our review threads by month, like we do with frugals and decluttering? I had searched for The Chalk Man, and it brought me to a 40 page thread (What are you reading 2018), and what I wanted was on page 22. Good thing I am retired, lol.

  6. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,496
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post

    This reminds me of a thought I had recently. How about if we do our review threads by month, like we do with frugals and decluttering? I had searched for The Chalk Man, and it brought me to a 40 page thread (What are you reading 2018), and what I wanted was on page 22. Good thing I am retired, lol.
    So you searched for it, and found a long thread. When in that thread, at the top of it, click Search Thread and do another search. You won't have to go through all the pages of it then.
    Tip for today.

  7. #177
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,091
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So you searched for it, and found a long thread. When in that thread, at the top of it, click Search Thread and do another search. You won't have to go through all the pages of it then.
    Tip for today.
    I don't see the "Search Thread" option. Can you please give me a bit more guidance? I would love to figure this out.

  8. #178
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,091
    Never mind - I see it! Thanks!

  9. #179
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,091
    TMS: I want to thank you again for pointing this out; that was an excellent tip of the day! I thought I remembered being able to search with more specificity, but I kept looking near the search box, and within the advanced search option. My eyes just kept skating right by "search thread" as though it wasn't even there.

  10. #180
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,963
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    TMS: I want to thank you again for pointing this out; that was an excellent tip of the day! I thought I remembered being able to search with more specificity, but I kept looking near the search box, and within the advanced search option. My eyes just kept skating right by "search thread" as though it wasn't even there.
    I am going to try this search. Thanks!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •