Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I hate-read all three of the Judd's memoirs, and my reaction was "suspicions confirmed." And we only know the half of it.
    Spill! I’m not interested in the Judds or their music, but that youngest one who is an actress was OK for a while back a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Spill! I’m not interested in the Judds or their music, but that youngest one who is an actress was OK for a while back a long time ago.
    My non-professional assessment is that they all are/were neurotic, more so than most performers even, likely due to their chaotic upbringings. Ashley was shuttled off to relatives once Naomi and Wynonna established their act, which may have saved her. She seems like the most sane one of the lot. Wynonna clearly had mommy issues.

You have to read between the lines, and much is left out--like the story about Wynonna's sex-offender husband number two, and her meth-manufacturing daughter, who recently got out of prison. Naomi came across as the neediest person on the planet. I'm not too surprised at how her life played out. Maybe it's a CW thing, as Mindy McCready was a cautionary tale for sure.

And that's my gossip for the duration...

I just finished UN Pregnant. It is a "ban-able book". It's for high school. Main Character, 17 lives in Missouri,pregnant after taking all precautions, drives (with many adventures, and unrealistic solutions) to Albuquerque in a weekend ( over 900 miles one way), gets the abortion, comes home...I found it very hard to put down. It captured the angst and problems of high school seniors, cliques, friends..although much was unrealistic to this 73 year old, it was an enlightening story. Some rough language, but not gratuitous.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My non-professional assessment is that they all are/were neurotic, more so than most performers even, likely due to their chaotic upbringings. Ashley was shuttled off to relatives once Naomi and Wynonna established their act, which may have saved her. She seems like the most sane one of the lot. Wynonna clearly had mommy issues.

You have to read between the lines, and much is left out--like the story about Wynonna's sex-offender husband number two, and her meth-manufacturing daughter, who recently got out of prison. Naomi came across as the neediest person on the planet. I'm not too surprised at how her life played out. Maybe it's a CW thing, as Mindy McCready was a cautionary tale for sure.

And that's my gossip for the duration...
    I'm sure many would be surprised, if not shocked, if they were able to peak behind the curtain of most celebrities' lives.

I really like Ashley Judd's acting. She's been in a few great movies. Since I'm not a country music fan, I'm more familiar with Ashley than Naomi and Wynona.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I just finished UN Pregnant. It is a "ban-able book". It's for high school. Main Character, 17 lives in Missouri,pregnant after taking all precautions, drives (with many adventures, and unrealistic solutions) to Albuquerque in a weekend ( over 900 miles one way), gets the abortion, comes home...I found it very hard to put down. It captured the angst and problems of high school seniors, cliques, friends..although much was unrealistic to this 73 year old, it was an enlightening story. Some rough language, but not gratuitous.
    They made that into a movie and I saw it. A nice little independent film, hit the right tone. The teenage girl had barely enough money to get to Alburquerque. She took a friend with her. I do not remember ehy she didnt go to nextdoor Kansas for an abortion, a state with lax restrictions. I suppose it was the “underage” issue.

There are several books about pregnant teens traveling to another state for abortion.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-26-22 at 3:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post

Thought it wrapped up too much like a sit com and expected an epilogue with main character as an adult telling the story to her teenage children. Then I looked at author biographies and saw one of the authors was a writer on How I met Your Mom and it made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm sure many would be surprised, if not shocked, if they were able to peak behind the curtain of most celebrities' lives.

I really like Ashley Judd's acting. She's been in a few great movies. Since I'm not a country music fan, I'm more familiar with Ashley than Naomi and Wynona.
    I'm not particularly interested in any of their oeuvres, but their family dynamic is pretty interesting. It seems Ashley ran afoul of Harvey Weinstein at some point.

Book group last night discussed The Midnight Library...mixed reviews and lots of discussion about making "bad" decisions that turn out better for us...and one person despised Monica (main character) for being a wimp, and so undecided and unhappy with her life. I love the discussions because I always see the book in a different way .

IL UnPregnant- I think it was the under age thing- which seemed odd because most kids in their senior year are 18 by May...at least where I live. I did wonder if there wasn't a closer place but was too lazy to check.

I’m mentioning these only because I use this thread as a record of what I’m reading otherwise I would forget.

“Black doctor white coat quote is about a young African-American physician as he journeys through medical school and treating patients. It is what you would expect. Boring and I didn’t finish it.

“Good boy: my life in seven dogs “by Jennifer Boylan is one of several autobiographies written by this trans woman. She’s a writer/professor, so her writing is mildly engaging. The narrative vehicle of this book the life of the dogs she’s had throughout her own lifetime. Interesting bomb dropped at the end is her son declares himself trans at about age 23.

“Three Little Words” by Ashley Rhodes-Courter about the author’s life as she’s shuttleded through 13 foster homes. I just skimmed beginning of it and it’s too chaotic to be interesting. Poor kid who had to experience that.

Thread Information