Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay----you kids need-to-know this: We lost Ms Rule several years ago. But yeah--I already mighta told you kids that I once lived in another city-in-the-country, Spokane, Washington. It is the hub of a region that has been home to a lot of colorful people. No one I knew who was a nice person stayed there, after they left HS! Seriously. Yup. The place hardly ever makes the news, except for its' connection to heinous crimes! It also has inflated home prices, due to it's unfortunate proximity to the West Coast, 300 miles away. Yup. One a these daysa, I'll list summa the Spokane connections to notoriety, including Ann Rules' book about Bundy. Plus, OJ. Plus, a serial rapist or two. The Fairchild AFB double tragedy. The white supremist gang that shot DJ Alan Berg. All covered in varoius books. Etc., etc.,etc.Yup. Hope that helps you some. Attachment 4812
    Yep, I lived there for two years while going to school. Some scary stuff goes on downtown. Partner at the time said the best view of Spokanistan is in the rear-view mirror.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Okay----Kaylr--by chance, did you attend Gonzaga? That brings to mind yet another incident, involving the son(s) of a friend of the family. The first son was a gifted student, pictured in the high school yearbook with the guidance counselor. I went to that school as a sophomoron, and was buddies with the counselors' son. But yeah---there's enough to make a short story long, but here's a news clipping from awhile back.2022-09-11 (1).jpg

Another jr hi chum, who had moved here from Boulder, left Spoky soomn after graduation. He lives in Co., at present. But his kid sister stayed in Spokane, and was murdered, downtown in a parking lot. The perp was caught, served time, and died in Portland a few years ago. I was in Scouts with a kid who I wasn't buddies with. He was mean and arrogant. Just a few years ago, his older berother was imprisoned for a series of rapes, there in Spokane. But yeah---I could go on about the tragic consequences of living there. My aunt retired, and she and her husband relocated to Spokane area. But, they did not stay long. nope. Hope that helps you some.

No I did not attend Gonzaga.

Yeah, downtown Spokanistan is nowhere to be after dark.

Or sometimes daytime either as I remember...Once I was sitting at a stoplight when a strung-out woman rushed over and started hitting my car with something stick-like and was yelling at me, "Can you just give me a couple bucks so I can buy a f**king pop!!!?"

Wow, she must've missed panhandler courtesy class.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Next up on OverDrive--Wave, by Sonali Deriniyigala, about the aftermath of a deadly tsunami, and The Daughters of Kobani by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon about Syrian Kurdish women's struggles.

An older simple living book - Epicurean Simplicity.

Attention----I hate to take time away from reading true-crime books about Spokadishu, but I have a need to post an air quality alert, so that you can cease and desist doing anything but to go inside and watch CNN discuss global climate change. 2022-09-11 (7).jpg

Three recent enjoyable reads:
    Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr - a boy is born with the knowledge that the world will be destroyed by a meteor on a specific day, and his life is profoundly affected by that knowledge.
    Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - I really enjoyed quirky Eleanor's efforts to find her way in the world.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - This one was delightfully fun. Aspergian Don Tillman searches for the perfect mate, employing the use of a 16-page compatibility questionnaire (reminding me just a tiny bit of our good friend Ultralight).

Nostradamus His Prophecies for the Future. It's a short, little book with a collection of some of his prophecies. Interesting how some of them can be applied to different times in the past and even the future. Would love to know what he was really, truly referring to in his various prophecies.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - NF - Interesting true story of a woman's cells that were taken and used for much important medical research.
    The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare - I loved this book, about a young Nigerian girl with aspirations beyond being the third wife of an old man or the abused maid of a wealthy couple. I highly recommend this one.
    The Push by Ashley Audrain - I had read raves about this novel, but I would rate it as more middling/OK. It's a thriller about a young mother with some horrific happenings, and I did find it confusing at the beginning in terms of who was talking (shifting narrators). It also made early motherhood sound so horrible, confirming my choice to only be a cat mother, lol.

Thread Information