Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

I am rereading All Your Worth by Warren and Tyagi, to see how I feel about it almost 20 years later, at retirement age.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    IL: I searched to see if this book was mentioned on this Forum, and here is what you said about it in July 2018:

Finished The Chalk Man, a murder mystery set in England in 1986.I dont know why I read murder mysteries, they just make me mad. I blame Rosa for her enticing reviews. I will say that this one had a good long set up with lots of complexity in the plot, and good characterization. But there was too much going on, yet the end was lazy.

This reminds me of a thought I had recently. How about if we do our review threads by month, like we do with frugals and decluttering? I had searched for The Chalk Man, and it brought me to a 40 page thread (What are you reading 2018), and what I wanted was on page 22. Good thing I am retired, lol.
    Oh well, I still have no memory of what that book was about, and I even read the first page or two on my Kindle but I don’t remember the ending. Just as well since I didn’t like it

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am rereading All Your Worth by Warren and Tyagi, to see how I feel about it almost 20 years later, at retirement age.
    I had that book--I don't think it made the cut in The Purge, but I had it on my office bookshelf for many years. What appealed to me was the notion of budgeting by percentages: 50% needs, 30% wants and 20% savings. In fact, I still practice vestiges of that advice in my YouNeedABudget categories: My major budget categories are Needs, Wants, Debt/savings.

What are your thoughts about how well their advice has aged for you?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Violeta by Isabel Alllende

The Carnivore Code by Paul Saladino, making a strong case for the nutritional superiority of meat, particularly red meat..

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Carnivore Code by Paul Saladino, making a strong case for the nutritional superiority of meat, particularly red meat..
    I heard two advocates for beef interviewed by Joe Rogan for three hours one day. This celladena guy might’ve been one of them I don’t know, but it was a male and female team.

Currently reading a health and nutrition book called Metabolical by Robert Lustig. It is very technical explaining how our diets affect our cells (thus our organs) and why so many of us are metabolically sick and don't even know it. I usually read nutrition books with a bit of skepticism since every author has a slant. This one got my attention though because he explains how many of our current chronic diseases (even perhaps Alzheimer's) start with damage to cell processes due to our diets high in sugar and processed carbs.

Just finished "The Beginner's Goodbye," by Anne Tyler and loved it so much I picked up another of hers (one of my favorite authors), "A Spool of Blue Thread."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Currently reading a health and nutrition book called Metabolical by Robert Lustig. It is very technical explaining how our diets affect our cells (thus our organs) and why so many of us are metabolically sick and don't even know it. I usually read nutrition books with a bit of skepticism since every author has a slant. This one got my attention though because he explains how many of our current chronic diseases (even perhaps Alzheimer's) start with damage to cell processes due to our diets high in sugar and processed carbs.
    This makes 100% sense to me.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Another Anne Tyler fan here!

Ordered some retirement books from the library yesterday and will report back if find anything good.

Thread Information