Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

On Juneteenth, part memoir, part historical essay

Just finished The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer. It was an excellent WW2 saga, very well written in addition to a good story line.

I'm reading Murder in Portland, by Dianne Partman, from her mystery series set in the PNW. Also Ann Rule's Heart Full of Lies, also set there.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm reading Murder in Portland, by Dianne Partman, from her mystery series set in the PNW. Also Ann Rule's Heart Full of Lies, also set there.
    when I first moved to St. Louis 30+ years ago there was a local woman named Ann Rule who was an author and who requested materials through inter-library loan at the public library. Since I ran interlibrary loan and being brand new to St. Louis, I was extremely polite to her because I thought maybe she was the real Anne Rule and perhaps she spent time in St. Louis? Because I could see a major author moving back-and-forth between regions.

After a couple years I figured out that it’s not the famous Ann Rule, she was just a garden variety author and I can’t find any evidence of her On the Internet today.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    when I first moved to St. Louis 30+ years ago there was a local woman named Ann Rule who was an author and who requested materials through inter-library loan at the public library. Since I ran interlibrary loan and being brand new to St. Louis, I was extremely polite to her because I thought maybe she was the real Anne Rule and perhaps she spent time in St. Louis? Because I could see a major author moving back-and-forth between regions.

After a couple years I figured out that it’s not the famous Ann Rule, she was just a garden variety author and I can’t find any evidence of her On the Internet today.
    The real Ms. Rule lived in Oregon. I met her husband at a party once, some time before she became an author. He remarked that she and I both worked in tech, and I thought "how dull," and skipped meeting her. I are an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The real Ms. Rule lived in Oregon. I met her husband at a party once, some time before she became an author. He remarked that she and I both worked in tech, and I thought "how dull," and skipped meeting her. I are an idiot.
    Yes! A missed opportunity.

She worked at a company called Tektronix, and got books at the library to learn how to write fiction.

Okay----you kids need-to-know this: We lost Ms Rule several years ago. But yeah--I already mighta told you kids that I once lived in another city-in-the-country, Spokane, Washington. It is the hub of a region that has been home to a lot of colorful people. No one I knew who was a nice person stayed there, after they left HS! Seriously. Yup. The place hardly ever makes the news, except for its' connection to heinous crimes! It also has inflated home prices, due to it's unfortunate proximity to the West Coast, 300 miles away. Yup. One a these daysa, I'll list summa the Spokane connections to notoriety, including Ann Rules' book about Bundy. Plus, OJ. Plus, a serial rapist or two. The Fairchild AFB double tragedy. The white supremist gang that shot DJ Alan Berg. All covered in varoius books. Etc., etc.,etc.Yup. Hope that helps you some. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg

African Founders

OIkay---Another investigative reporter that has written quite a few good ones is ol' Gerald Posner. Yup. I initially read his: "Case Closed", which debunked summa the rumors surrounding that dreadful, dastardly day in Dallas in Dealy Plaza, Nov 22, 1963. A day that has gone down in infamy. A nobody, trying to be somebody, gunned down the President o' the USA, using a cheap, $14 war-surplus bolt-action rifle. Yup. I've visited the site TWICE, and yeah---in photos and TV shows and stuff, it looks vast, but in reality, it is not. But yeah--Oliver Stone is a talented film maker, but he did a greast disservice to his country by making such a misguided docudrama. He really did. So anyway---Posner has authored other titles that are very interesting. One about the King Assassination, and another about Berry Gordy, music recording empresario--great in some ways, no-so-great in others. Hope that helps you some. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg

Thread Information