Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

The Queen of Palmyra by Minrose Gwin - good novel about racism in the south in the fifties, told through the eyes of a young white girl.
    The Postmortal by Drew Magary - the author had a neat idea, a scientist develops a cure for aging. I thought it started out quite promising, but the characters were very flat, one didn't really care about them particularly, and by the end, I was just pushing to finish it so I could check it off my list.
    Our House by Louise Candlish - a fast and gripping read, good entertainment, human drama with some decent plot twists.
    The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker - A touching and poignant love story. This was a very lovely book, and I thought it was cool that it was set in Burma. I can't recall reading another novel set there.

Books on charcuterie boards/trays and dips... for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Books on charcuterie boards/trays and dips... for ideas.
    Is that trend still out there then? I saw a ton of Pinterest and Instagram charcuterie boards last year.

Don't know if it is a trend but neighbors had us over recently and she made up a nice tray. I like the ease of it. We do potlucks in Texas and that would be another easy thing to do. Sometimes in the summer DH and I have a variety of cold or finger foods and a nice presentation would be nice even for just us, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Don't know if it is a trend but neighbors had us over recently and she made up a nice tray. I like the ease of it. We do potlucks in Texas and that would be another easy thing to do. Sometimes in the summer DH and I have a variety of cold or finger foods and a nice presentation would be nice even for just us, I think.
    Well I do like pretty foods! You must make a meat flower!

now you have inspired me, and maybe I will do a charcuterie board for a food event I am obligated for in mid May.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well I do like pretty foods! You must make a meat flower!

now you have inspired me, and maybe I will do a charcuterie board for a food event I am obligated for in mid May.
    Now you have inspired me! I am more inclined to use a tray, especially if transporting!

A meat board demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eguMG2zi1pk

Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf. Found this while looking through the little "free library" book box behind the church. Since I had recently read A Room of One's Own a little while ago, I thought I'd read this one. Once I figured out how to read her writing style, it was very enjoyable!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm working my way through the second of two rather whiney memoirs, and I have an Alex Delaware audio coming up, which should be a good palate cleanser.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf. Found this while looking through the little "free library" book box behind the church. Since I had recently read A Room of One's Own a little while ago, I thought I'd read this one. Once I figured out how to read her writing style, it was very enjoyable!
    I read this a couple of years ago on a friend's recommendation, because I had never read anything by Woolf. I understand that it's supposed to be brilliant, but the brilliance was lost on me. I found it almost unbearably tedious. I'm glad you got more from the experience than I did.

Yppej
    From Strength to Strength about how people peak and decline much sooner than they admit. It makes me think of Biden and the chair of my Board of Health.

It also makes me wonder how realistic proposals to raise the Social Security retirement age are.

Thread Information