Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnolia tree trimming

Downside when they do that to crepe myrtles they call it myrtlecide.

I hope that the shoots make it. I have seen situations where the new shoots have sprouted and then dried up, becoming overwhelmed and diee
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Well, apparently our neighbor is either lucky or actually knew what he was doing. At this point, now that spring is here, there are shoots in various stage of growth on virtually every branch of the tree. If this keeps up it will be starting to look like a normal tree again by this fall.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the shoots survive.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Update. This tree is going to be fine. I don't know if our neighbor was lucky or knew what he was doing. But it's grown so many new branches/leaves that it already looks normal and by the end of summer will look like a neatly trimmed version of its previous self.

Sorry that the pic is turned. In the turkey thread I encouraged everyone to stretch the right muscles in their neck. Now you can stretch the left ones...
    tree rotated.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Update. This tree is going to be fine. I don't know if our neighbor was lucky or knew what he was doing. But it's grown so many new branches/leaves that it already looks normal and by the end of summer will look like a neatly trimmed version of its previous self.

Sorry that the pic is turned. In the turkey thread I encouraged everyone to stretch the right muscles in their neck. Now you can stretch the left ones...
    tree rotated.jpg
    Glad to hear. Flies in the face of what I've learned about pruning, but I'm no expert, and in fact, I'm typically a reluctant and cautious pruner. I'm always afraid of doing too much. I have a gardener friend who is says she has planted normal trees and made dwarf trees out of them. So maybe your neighbor goes by my friend's playbook.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information