Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby, It's Cold Outside

When we applied for the insurance, they wanted to see the house inspection and learn about the woodstoves and chimneys, and that's when we learned that they were not up to their code.

We had one day last week where we set a new record at 64. It’s mostly been in the high 40’s and low 50’s with sun and no wind. Perfect walking weather. I love winter here).

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    When we applied for the insurance, they wanted to see the house inspection and learn about the woodstoves and chimneys, and that's when we learned that they were not up to their code.
    You motivated me to go back and check my inspection report, and it didn't say anything about the woodstove in it, but it said the chimney had some creosote, but subsequent to that we had the chimney cleaned. DH puts some creosote-removing gunk in the stove regularly and this year we plan to to get a chimneysweep to check everything out.

It's up to 9 degrees, but we'll probably get snow tomorrow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Woodstoves and fireplaces in Canada had major changes regarding location in a room, distance from walls, design of stove pipes, etc. I think this was triggered by serious house fires after improper installation of units by home owners with limited common sense. We were told that the majority of owners didn't monitor the chimney temp, failed to clean their pipes each year of creosote and removing birds' nests. They were not burning properly cured hardwood firewood but poplar and conifer that they got for free.

Fireplaces now need a screen in front after a small child touched the glass door in front and got fingers burnt. This legal change was initiated right after stores had taken delivery of their fireplace inventory for the coming year and put my neighbour out of business. He couldn't sell a fireplace until appropriate screens were created and delivered. A TV with the image of a burning fireplace has replaced many real fireplaces, I think.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yesterday was in the low 40's with rain and snow. Today, it's currently 18* and I think only getting up to 24* for a high. We were supposed to get a major snowstorm tonight/tomorrow but it went bust unfortunately.

My tire pressure light is on all the time. I have learned to ignore it. The car is filthy but I have heard don't go to a car wash if temps are below freezing, and they always are on weekends lately.

-2 in the night here in Piedmont Maryland- Catoctin Mountains At noon it is up to 29 in the sun.

Called on the collision warning light that keeps coming on in the car and was told it is likely wintry buildup on the car but don't take it to the car wash until it's above freezing.

I woke to 9 degrees this morning and we are up to 22. Can we say "heat wave"?? ROFLOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Currently 19* here at work (Northern VA). Daytime high is supposed to be around 38*. Snow storm in the forecast for Friday night/all day Saturday. May see 3-5 inches in Southern MD.

Thread Information