Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Governed by guilt

Governed by guilt

Before Christmas, some large size bars of Lindt chocolate were on sale for less than half price. I bought 6 bars to give a group of friends at our Christmas luncheon. Omicron/Covid caused the luncheon to be cancelled so I was stuck with 6 bars of chocolate. I eventually ate 2 of them which was far too much and found homes for the remainder.
    This past week, some Ferraro Rocher chocolates were on an amazing special and much as I love them, I wasn't tempted. It was so clear that if I bought even one pkg, I would eat too much and regret buying it. I felt guilt for my lack of self-control in my eating in my earlier purchase and I had no desire to repeat the experience.

How much does regret or guilt from past actions govern your buying decisions today?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

"I was stuck with 6 bars of chocolate." Words that will never cross my lips but the chocolate would
    DH and I both love it and eat a square every night, usually the very dark stuff. I have no guilt. I have no shame......

Guilt over chocolate? That’s not a thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    How much does regret or guilt from past actions govern your buying decisions today?
    Oh, yes. A lot.

But too much chocolate would be the least of it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Lindt chocolate is always worth the calories! But razz, it’s good that you gave the other four bars away, you know your limitations.

I think a lot about whether I will regret buying something, and do research on any purchase etc. unless it's just thrift-ed, I have little worry about something not working out and re-donating it to the thrift.

But I don't obsess about a food purchase that much, yes I shop with a grocery list, but chocolate is always on it. I have sometimes thrown away food if I was out of control with it, so it's not like I don't ocassionally have to. But chocolate, nah, I'm somewhat controlled - honestly a lot more than I am with other desserts, so for me, it's a reasonable way to have some sweets in life if one must. I like dark chocolate about 55-72% dark (so not real sweet but not real bitter either), sometimes with almonds or mint etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Once got almost 10 pounds of Lindt truffles that a grocery clerk has mistakenly marked over 90% off. (70 cents per pound). Did not even clean out the clearance section. Told another customer and her smile said it all.

Husband allowed himself one piece each time he did his routine on the rower. He kept them in the basement and I stayed away from them. No more. It was just too good to pass up.

I feel guilty when I buy new clothes or pay more than $15 for a haircut. Rarely feel guilty about grocery purchases including a chocolate bar once in a while. Now I am feeling guilty about wanting to buy more seeds as I already have enough...but I can't resist

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    One of the advantages of a career in a deeply spiritual profession like accounting and finance is that you internalize the concept of “sunk costs”.

Past expenditures are irrelevant to present decisions, so no guilt or regret need attach.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    One of the advantages of a career in a deeply spiritual profession like accounting and finance is that you internalize the concept of “sunk costs”.

Past expenditures are irrelevant to present decisions, so no guilt or regret need attach.
    I like that. Sunk costs. Definitely spiritually up there with "non-attachment"--the economic equivalent of "Let it Be." I'll have to meditate on it, and then go rip up the little piece of paper I have where I've accounted for the 6-figure list of lifetime sunk costs and burn it in my votives along with a little incense.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information