Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something to think about..

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    ... oh and never buy stocks.
    Oh, the irony. I heard that emphasized growing up, and also about my grandmother, her broker, and her success in the stock market.

There are, of course, constant complainers, snarkmeisters, critics, and generally unpleasant people. I try to avoid those.

Yea I was reluctant to get into the stock market and still am I a fairly conservative investor (no I don't avoid the stock market entirely). That stuff makes the intended impression, just I'm not sure what relevance it really has now.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yea I was reluctant to get into the stock market and still am I a fairly conservative investor (no I don't avoid the stock market entirely). That stuff makes the intended impression, just I'm not sure what relevance it really has now.
    It probably was more relevant before compound interest on savings effectively disappeared.

and never buy stocks,
    I recall reading somewhere that prior to the collapse of the stock market in 1929 the norm was for stocks to pay a higher dividend rate than bonds. The thought process being that since you aren't guaranteed your principal when you buy a stock, but you are with bonds (unless the bond issuer goes bankrupt of course) obviously stocks should pay better. After the economy got back on track a lot of old timers recommended waiting until stocks started paying better dividends than bonds before switching back from bond investments. As it turns out anyone who followed that advice is still waiting 80 years later. And has lost out on a huge amount of potential investment income.

Thread Information