Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Went on a naturalist-led hike last weekend and my DH was amused that the only pics I came home with was bark and lichen. To each his/her own, I say!Attachment 5744

those are always interesting subjects for photography, I like, looking at them.
    I am not a serious person.

Went on a naturalist-led hike last weekend and my DH was amused that the only pics I came home with was bark and lichen. To each his/her own, I say!Attachment 5744
    Everyone has their own interests for sure, which is perfectly normal. One of the trails near us is popular with bird watchers because of the massive wetlands next to it. Their idea of fun is to spend hours at one spot, usually with an expensive looking camera and a long lens on a tripod, hoping to snap a picture of an unusual bird. I quietly continue past them with a polite nod so as not to scare any birds that may be nearby because birdwatching just isn't my thing. Though I imagine they'd let me look through the viewfinder if I asked.

Personally rather than birds I'm more interested in the wrecked '60s Mercury that sits on the side of the hill near the birdwatchers. It's been there for at least the 3 1/2 years we've lived here and will presumably be there for the forseeable future. Every time I pass it I wonder how the hell it got there and why it wasn't removed. There are no roads anywhere near and I'm not one to go digging through old newspapers to try and find a resolution so it'll just be a weird thing I briefly ponder every time I go on that trail.

LOL on the birders, jp1. I have a couple of siblings that are birders. Whenever they suggest going for a walk, I know enough to ask if we will be "walking" or "birding".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    LOL on the birders, jp1. I have a couple of siblings that are birders. Whenever they suggest going for a walk, I know enough to ask if we will be "walking" or "birding".
    Indeed. Those are two distinctly different activities!

Wow! Beautiful patterns on that tree bark! That's the great thing about nature--there's something for everyone. My uncle and aunt were huge birders, but I'm not much into them, even though I have about 4 birdhouses in my yard. I just put them up and let them do their thing. I don't do census visits. I just listen to them through my open windows, and clean out their seasonal "airBNBs" in the fall.

I have binoculars and a field guide, but I try to be very vague when my neighbor asks, "Did you see that Northern Goshawk this morning??" I'm like, "oh, yeah. Beautiful! Big!"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information