Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Hiking

Nice to see all that green! I'm still hiking with ice traction devices on my shoes here.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

My friend is hiking the trail in bits and pieces. Never will I do it! She's done 700 miles. All of PA,MD, WV and about half of Virginia, then some in MA,CT, NC, TN. I admire anyone who hikes!! Myself, give me boardwalks, paved paths, and wide paths!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Nice to see all that green! I'm still hiking with ice traction devices on my shoes here.
    Yeah, we've had a decent amount of rain, fairly consistent but not overwhelming, since October. This is definitely the most beautiful time of the year here. I've always been a summer person and really do enjoy that time of year here but it's just not as pretty as the green during rainy season. And summer/fall is also fire season, so there's that...

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Very pretty, jp1. It looks like it was a beautiful day!
    I actually found this trail in a book about dog hikes in northern california that I stumbled on at the library and then went on the AllTrails app and found that they only had it as a 22 mile one way trail so I did like 2.5 miles in/2.5 miles back which was lovely. Next weekend the weather is also supposed to be nice so I'm thinking I'll get an early start and do like 4-5 miles in and then come back. That would be 3-4 hours so I'd need to take lunch but totally doable for a day hike. There are no roads cutting through the entire 22 miles so the further in I go the less people I will run into since most people probably do like I do and turn around at some point. (not that I ran into a ton of people anyway. Maybe 10 people groups the entire time I was out there?)

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    My friend is hiking the trail in bits and pieces. Never will I do it! She's done 700 miles. All of PA,MD, WV and about half of Virginia, then some in MA,CT, NC, TN. I admire anyone who hikes!! Myself, give me boardwalks, paved paths, and wide paths!
    LOL. You remind of a friend that I used to work with. She lives in San Francisco and her idea of a nice walk is strolling down the street at a slow speed and looking in the windows of shops. I told her that SO would probably enjoy a walk with her more than me since the only reason I take a walk is to get exercise or get to where I'm going. Another friend of mine calls my style of city walking "forced marches".

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    LOL. You remind of a friend that I used to work with. She lives in San Francisco and her idea of a nice walk is strolling down the street at a slow speed and looking in the windows of shops. I told her that SO would probably enjoy a walk with her more than me since the only reason I take a walk is to get exercise or get to where I'm going. Another friend of mine calls my style of city walking "forced marches".
    LOL. Forced marches is how I used to walk when I lived in Chicago 20 years ago, before my knees went to hell.

JP You made me laugh! I am going tomorrow on a wee walk around the park...paved path, flat but with a stream. Oh, and my hiking friend did 7 1/2 miles in the woods yesterday!

Went on a naturalist-led hike last weekend and my DH was amused that the only pics I came home with was bark and lichen. To each his/her own, I say!20240125_133717.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Nothing wrong with that, Kay!

Bark and lichen pics are good! I have a friend who hikes and takes pics of the different mushrooms along the way.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information