Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hiking

Okay---Hiking is something I've done a slight amount of, but not enough to share tips of value. I frequently sit-n-watch short videos of experienced hikers going up Colorado 14-teeners, State High Points, Trips to Crash Sites, etc. Read Krakauers books, too. But the best I can do is boast vicariously about a niece, who hiked up Grays Peak, several years ago. She beat me to a feat that I've yet to accomplish. But yeah----just so you'll know, I approve of getting out to DRIVE long-distance, to do this stuff. Just don't expect praise for driving to Alburquerque, to ride the tram up Potosi Mountain, or some other canned accomplishment. So---I've biked some. Nothing extraordinary, but more than the average citizen my age in the Heartland. There's a steep place in a local park, only 2-3 hundred feet long, that is open to walkers and bikers, and guess what? I have found it more of a challenge to walk it, that to bike it, uphill. I will admit that maybe I am better conditioned for biking that hiking, and yes---there IS a difference in the conditioning you get. Hope that helps you some. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg

Omg! Iíve been to the top of grays peak! Many moons ago when I was a stupid 18 year old kid that didnít understand yet that some things are really difficult. Sadly I had not yet bought my first iPhone (Steve jobsí biggest achievement by that time was creating the Macintosh a few years earlier) so I donít have a selfie of me standing on top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay---Hiking is something I've done a slight amount of, but not enough to share tips of value. I frequently sit-n-watch short videos of experienced hikers going up Colorado 14-teeners, State High Points, Trips to Crash Sites, etc. Read Krakauers books, too. But the best I can do is boast vicariously about a niece, who hiked up Grays Peak, several years ago. She beat me to a feat that I've yet to accomplish. But yeah----just so you'll know, I approve of getting out to DRIVE long-distance, to do this stuff. Just don't expect praise for driving to Alburquerque, to ride the tram up Potosi Mountain, or some other canned accomplishment. So---I've biked some. Nothing extraordinary, but more than the average citizen my age in the Heartland. There's a steep place in a local park, only 2-3 hundred feet long, that is open to walkers and bikers, and guess what? I have found it more of a challenge to walk it, that to bike it, uphill. I will admit that maybe I am better conditioned for biking that hiking, and yes---there IS a difference in the conditioning you get. Hope that helps you some. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg
    Into Thin Air is one of my all-time favorite non-fiction reads. I had no interest in the subject matter; I only read it at the urging of a co-worker, and I took it just to be polite. I could not put it down; it followed me into my dreams, and launched an Everest obsession for me. It's kind of funny, because I get somewhat winded on inclines and try to plan my walks to avoid hills, so I'm strictly into vicarious mountain climbing.

Okay----R/R, One of Krakauers books is about an unrelated subject; it's called: "Under The Banner of Heaven". Yup. It's a true-crime account, and a trilogy. But yeah--It's real interesting. Ron Lafferty died in prison, several years ago. Plus: here's another nugget: the staye of Alaska removed The Bus from the trail, due to it being deemed a danger to curiosity sewekers & too expensive to rescue them. My f-book account has a photo of the busa being lifted by a military helicopter, after which it was trucked to Fairbanks and placed in storage. Also, as you prolly know, there's Into Thin Aiur and Eiger Dreams. Yup. been so long since I read those, I practically forgot what they said. Hope that helps you some.

I read both of those too, and they were very good. His book about Missoula is on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Into Thin Air is one of my all-time favorite non-fiction reads. I had no interest in the subject matter; I only read it at the urging of a co-worker, and I took it just to be polite. I could not put it down; it followed me into my dreams, and launched an Everest obsession for me. It's kind of funny, because I get somewhat winded on inclines and try to plan my walks to avoid hills, so I'm strictly into vicarious mountain climbing.
    Into the Wild is a great book, too!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Into the Wild is a great book, too!
    Yes it was, and I thought they also did a good job on the movie.

Thread Information