Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

Such a pretty view in your first post JP

A couple of pics from last Sunday's hike. The trailhead is next to a cow pasture but just ten minutes in are the "big trees" that the trail is named after. Thankfully they are not laying down on their side. That's just a benefit from the forum software...

hike2.jpg
    hike3.jpg

I do not have such dramatic vistas to share, but this is the river right near my house, and I start my local walks with a look from the bridge to see if there is any interesting wildlife about.
    river in winter.jpg

Loving all these beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It's geocaching. There is also something sorta similar called letterboxing. Easy to Google and find out more. I've done both in my area as well as letterboxing on a couple of vacations years ago. Don't know how popular either one is these days.
    My grandson and I do geocaching. Free app. Only cost is gas if you leave your walking vicinity. It's a great way to get him away from his screens. He gets pretty jazzed as we close in on the caches. Most we find; some we can't.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I do not have such dramatic vistas to share, but this is the river right near my house, and I start my local walks with a look from the bridge to see if there is any interesting wildlife about.
    river in winter.jpg
    It may not be that dramatic but it still looks quite nice.

Not all of my hikes have dramatic vistas either. One of my favorites is next to the local general aviation airport so there are always little tiny airplanes flying over and it is within sound of the big racetrack that's maybe 5 miles away. On race weekends it's not terribly peaceful so I look online at the racetrack schedule before heading there.

But it is also next to a major wetlands area that had been drained to make farmland until about 20 years ago when they started restoring it to a very biodiverse wetland. The picture doesn't do justice to how big the area is. The idea that an area hundreds of square miles had been drained of water to make farmland is remarkable to me. Although perhaps it is more remarkable that somehow we managed to turn it back into what it used to be.

wetlands.jpg

Today's hike featured a nice view of San Pablo Bay (just north of San Francisco Bay). The tall mountain way off in the distance is Mount Diablo, about 40 miles east southeast. It's the tallest peak in the bay area. 4.8 mile hike with 987 feet of elevation gain. My legs are definitely feeling it this evening.

hike 4a.jpg

Beautiful view, JP!

Beautiful pictures!

jp, that's a great story about the wetlands!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Love the pictures. Glad you are enjoying your hikes!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information