Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

Went back to one of my favorite trails today. Hadn't been there since before the rain started 6 weeks ago or so. It was fun since I ran into the woman I always see riding her horse on the trail, and the weather has been great for several days now. There's a major creek that normally doesn't exist. And it's a clear example that trump was right. The forest seriously needs to be raked.

rake 1.jpg
    rake 2.jpg

On the plus side there are some new views that didn't exist before. Before the rains there was nowhere on this trail that one could see San Pablo Bay. Now there's at least one spot...

view.jpg

Got home today after spending a few days in Palm Springs again for SO's birthday. Like us they've had roughly double the average annual rainfall this year, so everything's green and lots of wildflowers are blooming. And the river hike I did last year involved a river with a whole lot more water than last year. Last year it was possible to use rocks and logs to avoid getting wet. This year all the comments on the All Trails app were "You will get wet up to your knees. Plan accordingly." So I took my old boots and just plowed through. Some people were taking off and putting on their shoes at each of the ten crossings. (actually 20 crossings since it's ten out and ten to return). One very charming older woman (who offered me some much needed sunscreen) had taken her shoes off at the first crossing and then walked the rest of the trail barefoot. That's both crazy and kind of badass.

The picture of the water is the first crossing I had to wade through. I had to get from where I was standing to the other side at the top of the picture.

hike1.jpg
    hike4.jpg

On the way home today we stopped outside of Fresno at "The Cat House On the Kings". I had been there four years ago with a friend who is a longtime donor and wanted to make another visit. It's a cat rescue/sanctuary run by a woman who had started taking in cats 40 years ago and eventually abandoned her house to the cats and moved into a trailer on the property. Now it's a major no kill shelter that she operates as a non-profit. SO brought a container of treats and spent more than an hour making friends with lots and lots of cats. Here he is in the living room of what used to be Lynea's house. We already have two cats so we're not in the market for adopting more, but goodness, several of them were such charmers that it was hard to just leave without them.

cats.jpg

I follow Cat House on the Kings on FB, and I have donated to them, although I usually donate to my local rescue. "Disapproving Cats" is the FB page. I enjoy most of the content, with the exception that a lot of people share when their cats are sick or "passing over the rainbow bridge," and that certainly makes me sad.

I love the cat house!

I heard a news story yesterday on Planet Money about a woman in Dixfield, Maine left $200,000 to the cats of Dixfield, and it was quite a problem to disperse the money responsibly. Finally, the state of Maine had to step in to carry out the will. The Planet Money guys use this story as an illustration of the laws and problems in living money in your will to accomplish specific things.

Looks like another great hike, jp!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Goodness! I was on this trail just a week ago, so this must've just happened in the last week. Although it would have been exciting to witness as it fell, it's probably just as well that I wasn't anywhere near it...

tree.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Goodness! I was on this trail just a week ago, so this must've just happened in the last week. Although it would have been exciting to witness as it fell, it's probably just as well that I wasn't anywhere near it...

tree.jpg
    the tree is probably sorry it did not take down any innocent humans in its fall to distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    the tree is probably sorry it did not take down any innocent humans in its fall to distinction.
    I hope trees haven’t figured out how to coordinate their efforts the way sharks seem to have done!

Oh dear. Some unfortunate white bird was someone's dinner last night. (probably a coyote).

bird.jpg

Interesting article in the NYT today. Thought of this thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/01/u...e=articleShare

Thread Information