Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abacus

Abacus

Yesterday at the Goodwill I bought an abacus in the kid's toy section. I always wanted to learn to use one, and I had one for my own kids and never learned how to use it. So last night I started working on it with a youtube video, and it's neat, and I can't wait to start working with it with my granddaughters, who are 7 and 4. Has anybody got any tips on how to learn/teach this thing. I think it could be a really cool math manipulative for them in terms of thinking in bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yesterday at the Goodwill I bought an abacus in the kid's toy section. I always wanted to learn to use one, and I had one for my own kids and never learned how to use it. So last night I started working on it with a youtube video, and it's neat, and I can't wait to start working with it with my granddaughters, who are 7 and 4. Has anybody got any tips on how to learn/teach this thing. I think it could be a really cool math manipulative for them in terms of thinking in bases.
    This should be right up LDahl’s alley. Didn’t he work daily with those before retiring?

(just kidding you, Ldahl.)

See if any of the Montessori or Waldorf schools have YouTube or even online instructions. With all of the home schooling going on in the pandemic, someone must have written materials for parents.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    See if any of the Montessori or Waldorf schools have YouTube or even online instructions. With all of the home schooling going on in the pandemic, someone must have written materials for parents.
    Thanks, that's a great idea!

Somewhere I read that some schools teach the abacus to help students better understand mathematical principles and the kids get really good with them.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just showed my granddaughter how it worked and she really enjoyed it. She worked with it the whole 2 hours I was there and did addition and subtraction, and learned more about 1,s, 10's, 100's, and 1000's--the bead rows go up that way, up to a billion on the top row. We're on to multiplication next visit.

Sounds like you had a good visit and bonding time with your gd!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Slide rules are useful in teaching estimation and critical thinking skills.

Slide rules are useful in teaching estimation and critical thinking skills.
    I was the last class in high school physics to use slide rules. After my year, calculators were allowed. I am pretty good at rough guesses on numbers, and getting the order of magnitude correct. Its a useful skill.

Quick question. My late DH had two slide rules as he was taught how to use them. I keep looking at them trying figure if anyone could or would use them today. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Meanwhile back to the OP.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information