Thread: Mine!

Mine!

Yesterday I read "Mine!" by Heller & Salzman. Fascinating examination of how "ownership" arises and is treated.

I scanned the NYT review. What's your key takeaway? Did anything in this book shift your perspective on ownership?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I scanned the NYT review. What's your key takeaway? Did anything in this book shift your perspective on ownership?
    I enjoyed seeing an analysis of all the various types and options for "ownership". And the idea that we don't necessarily have to accept the cast-in-stone historical methods when they no longer serve useful purposes.

I think I came away with some valuable tools for convincing folks on local issues to think in broader terms when we are dealing with our various "tragedy of the commons" problems we face.

Interesting. In The Good Life by the Nearings, they said that one of the reasons they left VT is because their dreams of more communal participation fell on deaf ears up here. I find that to be true. There is a deep sense of personal independence among the rural Vermonters. We have common land here, as you probably know, and I think my husband broke the seal by mowing everyone's part of the lawn, and then one of our neighbors started doing the same, but we've learned you have to tread lightly on this stuff. We invited one of our neighbors over the other night and they brought their own drinks, and they never took any food we offered them. Yet, these are the neighbors with whom DH negotiated a cannabis deal: he gave "B___" 2 pot plants he got from his medical marijuana place in exchange for B___'s tutelage on how to grow it. So those arrangements work.

Charles Eisenstein spends a lot of time on this topic in his books. Very interesting topic--I'll probably treat myself to a copy of Mine!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Raffi Cavoukian did well with The Sharing Song

It's mine,
    But you can have some.
    With you I'd like to share it.
    'Cause if I share it with you,
    You'll have some too.

...If I have a blog you need...

Ownership is an intriguing topic. I have a hankering for a copy of Mine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpB3mEXO6rk

Thread Information