Thread: Solar pizza

Solar pizza

Every couple of weeks we get an envelope full of coupons for local businesses in the mail. I always go through it to see if there are any for businesses we frequent. For instance today's batch included two companies that do custom blinds. I'm planning to have outdoor blinds installed to shade the second story on the back of our house. The two back bedrooms (one of which is my office) get really warm in the summer since it faces southwest, and will be especially warm without the neighbor's magnolia tree providing any shade next summer. Chatting with a neighbor a few doors down about this a few weeks ago he said that the shades they installed were money very well spent.

One of the other coupons, though, caught my attention. It was for this place, https://stefanossolarpizza.com/ , which bills itself as a solar powered pizzeria. I wasn't aware that such a thing existed, but I'm intrigued. It looks like they just have a lot of electric photovoltaic panels to offset their electric usage, which isn't as exciting as solar ovens, but probably more practical. I saved the coupon. Maybe I can convince SO that we need a sunbaked pizza one of these days!

Back when I was homeschooling my son we made a solar oven out of cardboard and it actually worked. Why not try making one and cooking solar pizza at home?

https://housegrail.com/diy-solar-oven-plans/

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Back when I was homeschooling my son we made a solar oven out of cardboard and it actually worked. Why not try making one and cooking solar pizza at home?

https://housegrail.com/diy-solar-oven-plans/
    Those look like fun. I wonder though if they will get hot enough in a large enough area to make a pizza. But I could definitely see cooking other stuff.

I tried a few times in my life to build a solar oven, in MI it was a non success.

I bake pizza on a stone in an electric oven heated to 415F, for 20 minutes, followed by putting mozzarella cheese, pepperoni sausage, and Okinawa Spinach on top of the already baked toppings, and then baking that pie for another 5 minutes.

I know of no solar oven that is NSF certified for use in a commercial kitchen. Commercial ovens, that I am aware of, come in a couple of types.
    The electric, the one mentioned above, probably uses (most multiple pizza ovens, use conveyor belts, while others are single pizza at a time). The other style uses stones and tend to be gas ovens.

Not sure how solar powered commercial pizza oven will work. Is it even allowed for suck commercial use? Sounds like a cool concept and something new for the marketing purposes. Just like it grabbed your attention, I'm sure it will do the same for many others.

I got the impression from their web site that they have standard solar roof-type panels that power their oven as well as the building and other power needs, so it's not like the ovens have some sort of dedicated solar. But maybe there's a way.

Thread Information