Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with Copper?

Cooking with Copper?

Tell me about cooking with copper, those of you who have copper pots and pans.

I will not give up cast-iron frying pan, but for sauce pans I’m considering copper. Maybe I’ll have one copper frying pan, depending what you all say about it. I’ve never had it.

You were thinking of an induction stove, weren't you? Take a magnet with you when you go shopping. I once considered copper after finding some in antique stores and reading about the maintenance many years ago, I lost my enthusiasm quickly. Not sure if this is accurate today.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Copper is super high maintenance, but trendy. I would scrub and scrub and scrub each time and it still never looked great. Great on heat conducting, so particularly good for making jams but too much work for me. Give me cast iron anyday (or stainless for those applications where cast iron wouldn't work great).

My mil used to have copper-bottom pots and pans (a set was gifted to her). Every time I helped with dinner dishes, she would pull out the special cleanser needed to clean the copper portion of the pans. No thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    You were thinking of an induction stove, weren't you? Take a magnet with you when you go shopping. I once considered copper after finding some in antique stores and reading about the maintenance many years ago, I lost my enthusiasm quickly. Not sure if this is accurate today.
    No, no induction stove. Standard gas burners.

But yeah, I’m concerned about maintaining copper.

Honest question - couldn't you just let the bottom of your pans get tarnished or blackened or whatever? I need for some things to look pristine, but the bottoms of pans are not on that list. I won't polish brass either; I've successfully convinced myself that brass with a patina is more beautiful. If I can do it with candlesticks, I'm positive I could do the same for pan bottoms!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Honest question - couldn't you just let the bottom of your pans get tarnished or blackened or whatever? I need for some things to look pristine, but the bottoms of pans are not on that list. I won't polish brass either; I've successfully convinced myself that brass with a patina is more beautiful. If I can do it with candlesticks, I'm positive I could do the same for pan bottoms!
    Yes, you could, but then for me I’m buying copper not because they’re an excellent conduction tool but because they “look pretty. “So it sounds like they are too much maintenance for me.

I love mine. They will last for ever. My mom used to polish and hang hers but I don't so they are low maintenance for me.

They do look beautiful in some kitchens in the movies, all shiny and hanging above the stove area.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If you like the copper look, maybe hang some vintage Jello molds or something.

Thread Information