Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with Copper?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    If you like the copper look, maybe hang some vintage Jello molds or something.
    Smarty Pants!

Now we are talking about dust collectors extraordinaire.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I remember those jello molds! You all are too funny. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    If you like the copper look, maybe hang some vintage Jello molds or something.
    Hmmm, nah. The jello mold look is not yet far enough behind us to be cool, IMHO.

Now, resin grape clusters—those have been retro cool for some years now. Maybe I will explore that accessory.

i have a small collection of Royalty tins from the U.K. Those might work, too.

I am all for hitting the easy button). I couldn’t have non-stick pans because my ex would not pay attention and use metal utensils on them. I bought a set of nonstick and love them.

I could actually see the copper colored vintage jello molds being an interesting decorative look on a kitchen wall. If they got some dust, well they are washable. Nothing I have that is purely decorative is worth much anyway (I don't have jello molds). The grapes are even cooler looking.

For actual cooking though what matters is durability, conductivity (to a degree, I'm not really obsessed with it), washability, safety (too much bad news about non-stick). So I have mostly stainless steel (often with copper cores though)
    Trees don't grow on money

I am still drawn to these old copper pots, and in the grand scheme of things, they aren’t all that expensive. This one is a little pricier than others but there are thousands to choose from on eBay.

I may buy 3 to hang as decorative items.

7D141753-5B0C-4E2A-B39D-0082007B0D18.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am still drawn to these old copper pots, and in the grand scheme of things, they aren’t all that expensive. This one is a little pricier than others but there are thousands to choose from on eBay.

I may buy 3 to hang as decorative items.

7D141753-5B0C-4E2A-B39D-0082007B0D18.jpg
    Is there a sealant that can be applied to copper utensils to keep them bright? The sealant would prevent their being used for with high temps and cooking though, I would think.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tell me about cooking with copper, those of you who have copper pots and pans.

I will not give up cast-iron frying pan, but for sauce pans I’m considering copper. Maybe I’ll have one copper frying pan, depending what you all say about it. I’ve never had it.

My ex had had his late mother's 1956 Revere Ware. That I absolutely loved. It Was Huge. A ginormous set. It had everything that they made back in the day. I polished it and loved it the entire time we were together. It was very tempting to ask for it when we divorced. But I told him to give it to his younger sister since he didn't want it. I tried to re=created it when we split up in 1995. There was not comparison in the quality. I ended up scouring garage sales and antique stores. I finally had the entire set. Then I acquired my Grandmothers' Le Creuset saucepan from the 1930's. The Revere Ware went to my Stepdaughters and DH and I invested in Le Creuset. She recently got into Le Creuset and gave back the Revere Ware and that is now in my living quarters horse trailer. It's kind of like a travel trailer and horse trailer combined

I own two regular (maybe stainless steel?) pots with lids, three cast iron frying pans, a cast iron dutch oven, and a 12 quart stock pot. Still seasoning the newest cast iron pan, but the other two are so well seasoned they are virtually non-stick. That's the stove-top cookware that I own.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I own two regular (maybe stainless steel?) pots with lids, three cast iron frying pans, a cast iron dutch oven, and a 12 quart stock pot. Still seasoning the newest cast iron pan, but the other two are so well seasoned they are virtually non-stick. That's the stove-top cookware that I own.
    DH had a an Auntie that passed away and we had to clean out her house. It was there that I discoverered the awesomeness of Griswold cast iron. We figured that the 9 inch frying pan and egg frying pan were over 90-year-old. fast forward to 2018 where we found even more Griswold from his parents house ....

Thread Information