Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing a letter to "win" a house

Writing a letter to "win" a house

I have been advised by our realtor that we stand a better chance of winning the house we are considering by writing a letter to woo the sellers. Along with offering $50K over asking. It feels scuzzy to me to participate in the real estate greedfest. Buying shelter for we plebeians has turned into a grueling process that's for sure.

There are a few sellers that are so emotionally attached to their house that a letter "might" have some impact. A good realtor will steer the client to the more important things like price, speed, and ease of transaction.

Anyone considering a house should be prequalified with as many $$ as they can have for the down payment. Be aware that if you offer more than what the mortgage appraisal determines is the value, you will have to either make up the difference or possibly the bank will walk away.

I did that, but it was sincere, and I wasn't in a bidding war. When we originally looked at this house, we knew the owners were looking to either rent or sell. We made an offer and they actually accepted the offer, but the next day we learned that they had actually found renters that they were supposedly locked into. We were so disappointed!

I had actually met the sellers, so I felt I had kind of a personal connection anyway, so I wrote the woman an email telling her how much we loved the house, that we wouldn't change a thing, it just spoke to us, etc etc. And if they ever decided to sell once the renter's lease was up, they should get in touch.

A month later they got back to us saying the renters "didn't work out" and would we still be interested. My personal feeling is, they had to leave this house for financial and other reasons and I think they wanted to rent it just in case they could return to it once they were on their feet. Anyway, the rest is history. We closed 3 months later.

As for your situation, I don't think it's scuzzy at all. If you truly like the home and would hate to see it go to someone else, I would definitely try to make a personal connection with the sellers. If you love your house, you want the next person to get it to love it, too. I'd feel relieved to hear from someone who seems like the right fit.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hold no delusions about my house. I truly believe whoever buys if from us will totally change pretty much everything. I wouldn't be surprised if they gutted the whole thing to start fresh. It is a home to us now, but when we go to sell, it will just be a house we are ready to move on from.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The 60yo owner's kids are selling the house most likely to pay for their mother's assisted living bills. No doubt they will want the most they can get. We are prequalified for a 30 yr mortgage with 50% down. The hope is we sell this house within six months and pay off the mortgage. I fault the realtors though as much as owners for much of the current state of things. They will sell to the devil if it brings them more money. I am not giving up though...

I can hardly wait until somebody offers money on my house with a promise that they will keep my flower garden the way it is. Because that must be important to me. And etc.

Little do they know that I really don’t give a crap once I’m out of here what happens to that flower garden. Realistically, I would like to see houses built on that space.

Yes I’ve heard of the liability problems with these letters. I’ll be glad when the trend is completely over.

I suppose there are some people who might be swayed by such a thing but I wouldn't. I don't really care who lives here after us, just who makes the best overall offer. And we didn't write such a letter to get this place. Our offer was accepted because our financing had been approved by the time we made the offer and because we didn't have a sale of our old house contingency (we didn't own before). The other offer the buyers were considering was higher then ours but they still had to sell their current house so we got accepted.

I think I'll skip the letter. Our reasons for buying there are completely emotional - seeing my grandkids grow up and helping SIL with MIL's care, ie family. It would be too mushy though I also have a very soft spot for the locale too.

Thread Information