Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secret Hoarders

Our friends all chipped in and bought us a KitchenAid for a wedding gift back in the 70s, and we were thrilled. I don't use it much now, but for many years it was used almost daily. I need to replace the speed control - it takes longer to beat cream into complete submission (ie: butter) than it used to. I'm on my second meat grinder - the first one I got had some plastic components and we wore it out, but now I have my mom's, from the 1940s - all metal-, and it works like a dream. The dough hook is fantabulous, also. That said - it IS heavy, and if you don't need a stand mixer, passing on it is likely for the best.

My mom has a 50's era KitchenAid that could be passed down to me (if my sister or brother don't want it) when the time comes. That KitchenAid would mean much more to me because of the memories associated with it. I'd probably keep that one if it came my way. I used to love watching her make the Thanksgiving cranberry jello mold where she would put the cranberries and orange peels into the meat grinder thingy and I'd watch those beautifully colored "worms" of fruit spill out into the waiting bowl.

At one time we found a butter churn and drink mixer attachments for the kitchenaid. They were still in the boxes. A friend has said he has all the fancy attachments and we can try them to see if they will be something we can use. So far I have only made yeast dough in the mixer and not sure I will do many other things. It is only the two of us.

Alas, we went back into the cabin today to finish up. It was rough. The occupant was a writer, and she hoarded every single piece of paper or photograph that came her way. Nothing was tossed over the years, so it was baskets and boxes and layers upon layers of dirty, dusty, animal hair-ridden papers, old padded envelopes, boxes things were shipped in, envelopes (SO. MANY. EVELOPES.), every letter anyone ever wrote to her, check registers, random coins, books, photos, things torn out of magazines, and on and on. All ruined by mouse shit. Yes, I was wearing gloves and an N-95 mask, but still...it's very sad to understand how her house was so bad for her health and she wouldn't let anyone help her clean it up even as she was slowly dying of cancer. Cleaning out under the kitchen sink was GROSS!

I took home some Pyrex pans that we needed at our house, and a small bookshelf for the studio (saves me from going to Savers tomorrow to find a small table for the studio to make it more functional)! I took home the electric hand mixer (which looked fairly new) and plugged it in and it DOESN'T WORK! I'm still not going to take the KitchenAid mixer though!

Alas, we went back into the cabin today to finish up. It was rough. The occupant was a writer, and she hoarded every single piece of paper or photograph that came her way. Nothing was tossed over the years, so it was baskets and boxes and layers upon layers of dirty, dusty, animal hair-ridden papers, old padded envelopes, boxes things were shipped in, envelopes (SO. MANY. EVELOPES.), every letter anyone ever wrote to her, check registers, random coins, books, photos, things torn out of magazines, and on and on. All ruined by mouse shit. Yes, I was wearing gloves and an N-95 mask, but still...it's very sad to understand how her house was so bad for her health and she wouldn't let anyone help her clean it up even as she was slowly dying of cancer. Cleaning out under the kitchen sink was GROSS!

I took home some Pyrex pans that we needed at our house, and a small bookshelf for the studio (saves me from going to Savers tomorrow to find a small table for the studio to make it more functional)! I took home the electric hand mixer (which looked fairly new) and plugged it in and it DOESN'T WORK! I'm still not going to take the KitchenAid mixer though!

That's kind of funny about the mixer. I admire the way you are looking at what is coming in with a very balanced view as to what is best for you. That is wonderful. Such a good way to honor your friend, to just keep the most useful things and let go of the rest.

Your coin comment made me think about one of the times we were cleaning out my parents house and my son was there and he gathered up all the loose change he found and then when we went to the grocery, he paid for all the food for us with the coins. Very practical.

Put the mixer on free Craigslist or on a Buy Nothing group, and you will make someone very happy!

I also don't bake much, use ours maybe once or twice a year, and yes, it's heavy, and hard to take out and put away. But I do like having it.

Today is Open House Day, where we invited all of G's friends to come over and select an item (or many items, hopefully) to remember her by. Whatever is left will be donated to our town's tiny little thrift shop and/or taken to Savers. So far I have put 14 hours into this endeavor, plus another three more this afternoon.

It’s a big job to clean out a house. I have done it many times for family and friends.

Wow, SiouzQ, what an endeavor you have undertaken. And what a wonderful example of friendship and caring.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information