Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did I buy that?

Why did I buy that?

Went to an estate sale down the street and managed not to buy anything until...I looked in the coat closet and saw a tiny, vintage Royal hand vac in perfect condition. I bought the thing for $5 just because it was so cute and no other reason. It works beautifully and is like new but I fear using it as parts might be hard to find.

You fear using a vacuum cleaner because it might break? ok, but that seems odd to me.

Unless, is this some sort of vintage piece?

It is from either the late 50s or early 60s. Solid metal and rubber. Not a plastic thing on it.

"Why did I buy that?"

As you said, because it was cute! Just don't be afraid to use it! Better it go down being well-used versus aging out in the back of a closet or something.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have owned a couple of these and I love them. They are great for cleaning stairs and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    "Why did I buy that?"

As you said, because it was cute! Just don't be afraid to use it! Better it go down being well-used versus aging out in the back of a closet or something.
    true. I agree with that.

I didn’t know they made hand vacs in the 50s or 60s.

“Why did I buy that” sometimes the question I have when I review past orders on Amazon! Your purchase sounds more fun.
    Really this would be a good post for most of us to ponder over the years of purchasing. I have decided that “most” were things I wanted/needed/thought were a great item at that particular moment in time.

You might check with a good vacuum store--like Stark's in Portland, Oregon--for backup belts and bags.

Bikinglady, you are right, I love this question. I am trying to be aware of it now as I buy new things.

I over bought at my last visit to the thrift store, easy thing to do and I have to be careful about that.

I’m planning picture galleries in my condo, and I wanted a certain shape, so when I found a grouping at the thrift store I bought it.

Then I got them home and thought why did I buy this because they’re plastic. For god sake I can afford nice wood ones from eBay. And ironically of course I used to own exactly what I was looking for. It’s one of the few things that I have given away that I will now probably buy again, antique frames on eBay but oh well.

Thread Information