Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: new music

I love Maria Muldaur, especially Midnight at the Oasis. I saw her live in Boston in 1974 (I believe was the year), and I was so disappointed that she didn't do that song. She also used to do some backup vocals for the Grateful Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I love Maria Muldaur, especially Midnight at the Oasis. I saw her live in Boston in 1974 (I believe was the year), and I was so disappointed that she didn't do that song. She also used to do some backup vocals for the Grateful Dead.
    Bringing back memories, rosa! Just the mention of Midnight at the Oasis brings me back to May 1974, driving into NYC on my first date with DH with that song on the radio and the top down on his convertible!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Bringing back memories, rosa! Just the mention of Midnight at the Oasis brings me back to May 1974, driving into NYC on my first date with DH with that song on the radio and the top down on his convertible!
    That song definitely has the power to bring me back in time as well! It's kind of funny that we are discussing this on the "new music" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    That song definitely has the power to bring me back in time as well! It's kind of funny that we are discussing this on the "new music" thread.
    It is because the recording I referred to is relatively new, using newer technology than what was prevalent in 1974. See: "Midnight at the oasis--Maria Muldaur---Cuica Remix". For me, the vocalist isn't always the center of my music appreciation world. It takes a village to make a recording. But yeah--the tune was originally composed by a Jewish Buddhist from Manhattan, who lives up in Vermont. How do you like that?

Okay---Here's a good one that might give you an earworm after you hear it. It's "I Know....." by Dionne Farris, on youtube. See---SHE"S the credited performer, but there's a whole lot more to that record than her. She was in some hip-hop group, but I paid no attention. But yeah---that's a really energetic and lively tune, with a strong melody. And it's funny how 20 years have passed, since it was recorded. I listen to it, occasionally, maybe a couple times. Not all day and night, every day, forever. Justt once in awhile. Have no clue what the message is. Now way would I pay big bucks for a concert ticket, and take the time to go see her. Nope. I just like the sound of it. Hope that helps you some. Thankk mee.

This popped up on my YouTube list. It's a singer named Melody Gardot and she has a sort of jazzy Parisian style (born in NJ). The comments mention an accident she was in and she was in a hospital for a year. It's sort of rainy day at home music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhED7X7RbDU&t=331s

Any metalheads?

I recommend the new Haiduk album Diabolica. Non-stop riffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoniac View Post
    Any metalheads?

I recommend the new Haiduk album Diabolica. Non-stop riffs.

I like a little operatic metal now and then, old-school stuff I suppose it is.

It’s always a surprise to me, the metal singers who are classically trained. The lead singer in Disturbed was the last such one I learned about.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-2-22 at 9:24am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I like a little operatic metal now and then, old-school stuff I suppose it is.

It’s always a surprise to me, the metal singers who are classically trained. The lead singer in Disturbed was the last such one I learned about.
    There is a whole subgenre of operatic and symphonic metal today. It's not really my cup of tea, though. I don't think the 2 mesh well. Being classically trained in voice or an instrument is an advantage, nonetheless.

Okay----there's a metal noise rock band based in I-Wah that calls itself "Slipknot", and believe me it's not music, it's noise. Just racket. I seriously question the sanity and intelligence of anyone who listens to them more than once. Yup. I figure that some of the kids like it because it annoys everyone else, as does cRAP. Hope that helps you some. Thank mee. Also, 60's pop idol Paul Ankas music--which enjoyed very good accompanying music, seems to creep into the present. You hear one of his hit recordings fairly often, somewhere or other. I'm no fan of Anka and his records, but I have to admit that his records were skillfully done. Hope that helps you some. BTW, Anka is the son of Syrian immigrants to the USA. Yup.
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 12-5-22 at 6:59pm.

Thread Information