Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: new music

new music

The random side conversation about music on another thread got me thinking about the new music I like. Currently my favorite modern song is Bang by AJR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THFRpw68oQ Before I discovered this my favorite was Twenty One Pilots' Stressed Out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY I suppose a shrink would point out that it's curious that the first two songs that came to mind are about the struggle of growing up and becoming an adult. Especially since that phase of my life is so far gone that I'm now planning for, and looking forward to, retirement.

In any case, I get tired of listening to the same thing over and over and over so I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to. So what new music is everyone listening to?

Random detail. The off-screen announcer guy in the AJR video who keeps saying "Here we go." will be recognized by anyone who has spent much time in NYC since 2005 or so as the man in the NYC subway who announces at every stop "Stand clear of the closing doors, please."

Just found this interesting video of him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhH2eEG8gAc

JP: You really got me thinking about how little current music I know. I like both of the songs you posted, but I definitely preferred Bang. The voice of the subway guy's video was pretty interesting too. I may have mentioned it before, but I was told by a college professor that I had the most godawful Boston accent he had ever heard, and that I needed elocution classes. Well I never took elocution classes, so I still have a godawful Boston accent.
    Will post on this thread if I can come up with any reasonably contemporary music that I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzNN3Zukl8

Three White Horses, Andrew Bird, if you consider 2012 new? But it was new to me.

I enjoy any music that has a rhythm, melody and harmony. So much music is available from around the world that incorporates these three and is ageless. New instruments add a richness as do the historic instruments.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

One of my kids has got me listening to BTS. While I don't always understand the lyrics, I do like the voices, arrangements and music.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Try Habib Koite's Africa. I'm pretty sure he's not a household name. Celine Dion's French Album is another favorite of mine.

But I've just spent the better part of two days delighting in people's reactions to Bobby Hatfield's Unchained Melody. Awe, swoons, surprise--had me smiling for hours.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=reactions+...deos&ia=videos

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    But I've just spent the better part of two days delighting in people's reactions to Bobby Hatfield's Unchained Melody. Awe, swoons, surprise--had me smiling for hours.
    I spent the better part of two weeks a year or so ago watching YouTube reactions to Bobby Hatfield singing Unchained Melody on the Andy Williams show back in the 60's. Out of all the recordings of him singing it, I think that's the one where he really, really nailed it. Rumor has it his mother was in the audience and he wanted to impress her, I don't know if that worked but it sure impressed me.

The reactions of all these young YouTubers was/is priceless.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

When worlds collide...

A commenter mentioned that one Cherilyn Sarkisian (aka Cher) was onstage as one of the backup singers that night. Don't know if that's true.

I'm always searching for new music for my playlists. I have several for the soundtrack of my life. I was always grumpy when I was (pre-pandemic) going to water aerobics and they were playing "oldies". For Pete's sake.... a little Big Bopper goes a long way. Give me something contemporary. Oldies to me is the '70's. I have lists to walk to, for reading, for sleeping, for painting, for meditating, for just about everything. I probably listen to music at least 12 hours a day. Bang, bang, bang!

Thread Information