Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: University I work for is lifting mask mandates soon... people are rejoicing.

University I work for is lifting mask mandates soon... people are rejoicing.

Folks seem very happy and relieved now that COVID is over and masks will no longer be required.

It will be strange to go to a 70+ person meeting and see everyone's faces again and to have people sitting right next to me on both sides, and right behind and in front of me. They will pack us into the small rooms again.

Is .covid over?

hunh.

But far be it from me to argue with the great brains over there in the great state of Illinois. As an aside, when we were looking for a place to have a weekend house that turned into a place we’re moving, several places in Illinois where attractive but DH said no way would he move to Illinois, that’s not happening, forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Is .covid over?

hunh.

But far be it from me to argue with the great brains over there in the great state of Illinois. As an aside, when we were looking for a place to have a weekend house that turned into a place we’re moving, several places in Illinois where attractive but DH said no way would he move to Illinois, that’s not happening, forget about it.
    Folks are sure acting like its over. But you ought to know this. You live in a red state. Yall been acting like its been over since it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Folks are sure acting like its over. But you ought to know this. You live in a red state. Yall been acting like its been over since it started.
    Please explain to my neighbors in this urban core that we’re in a red state so maybe they will vote correctly in the future.

The decline of Illinois is tragic really. You don’t understand what has happened to it, but it used to be a state that was a step up from Missouri and from Iowa, where I’m from. If you moved Illinois that was usually meant you were going to be richer. More prosperous. Things were looking up for you when you joined the Illini elite. Alas, No longer.

Sounds bad and scary. Workplaces I think it varied a lot in how much masking was actually enforced. Retail and stuff yea of course. But offices, by no means were people masking universally in mine, nor was I after vaxes and before Omicron, HOWEVER they also they only had us go in 1-2 days a week (1 for me as I don't even have a cube I'm so crammed in, so never having us in the office at the same time was the only way to have any distance - I almost hate that particular office enough to look for another job for that reason). So there were never very many people in the office at a time either.

For an office in addition to masking I'd buy and run an air filter. No of course it doesn't mean one won't catch it, but it reduces the germs in the air some, so improves the odds a bit. Me and coworkers did it, my bf who has worked in person got one for his office. The meetings though are superspreader events pretty much. I really don't see why the big meetings can't at least be remote.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Please explain to my neighbors in this urban core that we’re in a red state so maybe they will vote correctly in the future.

The decline of Illinois is tragic really. You don’t understand what has happened to it, but it used to be a state that was a step up from Missouri and from Iowa, where I’m from. If you moved Illinois that was usually meant you were going to be richer. More prosperous. Things were looking up for you when you joined the Illini elite. Alas, No longer.
    I guess I hit a nerve.

The “over it” phenomenon phenomenon does seem to be spreading, rightly or wrongly. More and more the restriction-tolerant states seem to be moving in the direction of Texas or Florida. Even in rule-following Canada we see truculent truckers revolting despite the scorn being heaped on them by the progressive gentry.

I do agree about the decline of Illinois. I grew up in and around Chicago and went to the flagship university, and in the intervening years have seen it move from cheerfully corrupt but fairly efficient government to the poisonous brew of identity politics, fiscal fantasticality and incompetence allied with corruption we see today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I guess I hit a nerve.
    Score!

you know I’m laughing here, right?

There's a coordinated push seemingly from the Biden white house to be over it. Some and not necessarily all states might have leaned in that direction anyway (that still had any covid precautions, many don't). I leave out if individuals are sick of it, we all are and can weigh our own risks and benefits of say having a dinner party or whatever, but I care about social policies like masks. So does it makes sense to be over it there?

If one is an average person of average age and average risk and vaccinated and boosted, odds of death are indeed very low (overall odds of death with 3 boosters). Problem is not everyone is whatever goes into these averages, some people have a lot more risks, they are elderly or immune compromised and I don't see a lot of risks broken down by that level of granularity (by age and illness WITH vaxes). But really it is just so basic, slicing and dicing the data by such finer granularities is what anyone would want to see to try to make sense of it. Just giving us a top number is like okay, not so useful. The push for boosters in this country was also pathetic, not enough people are boosted. And then there is long covid and it's complications. The problem is much hysteria about long covid is pre-vaccine and the question now is risks post-vaccine. *shrug* And the vaccines wear off some in time, even against illness that leads to an emergency room or ICU visit apparently.
    Trees don't grow on money

I know which university UL works for.

It is rather odd that all of a sudden these blue states are leading the charge in ending the mask mandates. Gov Jelly Bean Prickster surprised me on this one.

Thread Information