Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: University I work for is lifting mask mandates soon... people are rejoicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I know which university UL works for.

It is rather odd that all of a sudden these blue states are leading the charge in ending the mask mandates. Gov Jelly Bean Prickster surprised me on this one.
    Leading the charge or following the herd?

Or perhaps too many blue politicians got caught with their masks down.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

Preparing for elections.

The “over it” phenomenon phenomenon does seem to be spreading, rightly or wrongly. More and more the restriction-tolerant states seem to be moving in the direction of Texas or Florida. Even in rule-following Canada we see truculent truckers revolting despite the scorn being heaped on them by the progressive gentry.

I do agree about the decline of Illinois. I grew up in and around Chicago and went to the flagship university, and in the intervening years have seen it move from cheerfully corrupt but fairly efficient government to the poisonous brew of identity politics, fiscal fantasticality and incompetence allied with corruption we see today.
    Those Canadian truckers are like the lunatic fringe there. Not representative of the vast majority of Canadians, despite the imagery on FOX.

I think they just know that COVID is over. And people are done with the restrictions. The vast majority of people are willing to take their chances with the virus.

This is why I am okay with ending the restrictions, so long as I can still follow most of them for another couple months. The more people that turn, the better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Preparing for elections.
    That is definitely a major factor!

Regardless of mandates or rules or anything else, it will basically come down to whether, when, and if you wear a mask, get vaccinated, get boostered, etc. or not going forward. Some people will, be it out of concern for themselves, concern for others, or both, or not to do any or all of these things at all. Everyone will eventually decide for themself.

The rules and mandates will eventually go away and people WILL be left to decide for themselves and we will all - one way or another - live (or die) with the consequences going forward.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It really sucks that it's come to this.
    Trees don't grow on money

The thing I find remarkable is that it has become pretty obvious that being outside is fairly safe, which would seem to infer that better ventilation indoors would be a useful way of keeping the death toll down, but I’ve not heard of any efforts in this area. We seem to be headed towards just throwing our hands up and leaving the future death toll to random chance without making any efforts to take control of that future.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The thing I find remarkable is that it has become pretty obvious that being outside is fairly safe, which would seem to infer that better ventilation indoors would be a useful way of keeping the death toll down, but I’ve not heard of any efforts in this area. We seem to be headed towards just throwing our hands up and leaving the future death toll to random chance without making any efforts to take control of that future.
    I've seen lots of HEPA air purifiers in dental and medical offices over the past couple of years. I also have noted that regardless of mask mandate status, all medical and dental offices have required masks since early in the pandemic and with no indications that there will be a change in policy. For me, that's a key indicator that masks are believed to be at least somewhat helpful by those whose opinions I hold in higher regard.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I've seen lots of HEPA air purifiers in dental and medical offices over the past couple of years. I also have noted that regardless of mask mandate status, all medical and dental offices have required masks since early in the pandemic and with no indications that there will be a change in policy. For me, that's a key indicator that masks are believed to be at least somewhat helpful by those whose opinions I hold in higher regard.
    As a now retired dental hygienist, masks were required for most of my 36 year career so I don't understand the issues with using them on a daily basis. I will continue to use them in crowded settings.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information