Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Organ donation

So sorry, TMS.

Yes, the power of the spouse! My mom authorized treatment and care that my dad would have declined. She also did not allow the organs to be donated. Both things my dad clearly would have disagreed with. Also, the medical power of attorney was me and not my mom - but they didn't consult me! (She didn't feel she was disobeying, she actually felt this was the best decision)

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    So sorry, TMS.

Yes, the power of the spouse! My mom authorized treatment and care that my dad would have declined. She also did not allow the organs to be donated. Both things my dad clearly would have disagreed with. Also, the medical power of attorney was me and not my mom - but they didn't consult me! (She didn't feel she was disobeying, she actually felt this was the best decision)
    I’m sorry to hear that.

When our loved one is lying unconscious in a bed, to some of us that is “suffering.” To others that is “resting peacefully.” It is the latter group who thinks that form of life should go on and on. Because patient might recover you know! Not bloody likely

because my brother is in healthcare, I know he understands end of life decisions and not prolonging it.

I’m grateful that when my dad died, my brother and I along with our mother were on the same page about not prolonging his life. As it was he laid unconscious for a week and we finally had to grab a physician to ask what is the prognosis here doc? I mean, we didn’t think it was good but no one would tell us hey this man is not going to recover. Had we not been a united front, I’m sure it would’ve dragged on for a longer period.

Wow TMS, sorry you are dealing with additional loss. It's been a really rough stretch for you.

When my dad was sick my mom and I followed his wishes even when the doctors wanted to do a operation that would have killed him and if it didn’t leave him worse off. I think that they wanted to experiment on someone that was older, was 6ft tall and weighed 90lbs with severe Copd among other things to see how long it would take him to die. After we left they tried to get him to sign for the surgery even though he wasn’t competent. He told them to go F themselves. His massive stroke left him with no filter).

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When my dad was sick my mom and I followed his wishes even when the doctors wanted to do a operation that would have killed him and if it didn’t leave him worse off. I think that they wanted to experiment on someone that was older, was 6ft tall and weighed 90lbs with severe Copd among other things to see how long it would take him to die. After we left they tried to get him to sign for the surgery even though he wasn’t competent. He told them to go F themselves. His massive stroke left him with no filter).

Good for your Dad, TT!

My best friend's husband died suddenly last summer. She agreed to organ donation and has received beautiful letters explaining how his organs were used. I know that meant a lot to her.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I strongly believe in organ donation. However, I don’t have it on my driver’s license but my kids know to say yes.

Thread Information