Thread: 42 -- Movie Review

42 -- Movie Review

I just watched 42, the Jackie Robinson biopic.

It was amazing! There is a bit of religiosity in it, but not over the top. If you're a baseball fan at all, you'll love it.

If you care about civil rights, its pretty great through that lens too.

If you're a right winger, it may not be a film for you.

Why do you say right winger, may not be a film for you?

You understand it is a historic piece don't you?
    Seems an ignorant viewpoint, similar to the views that happened during this timeframe.
    I remember the buzz, and a story from behind the publicity at the movie opening, which was local, not in Hollywood. It also finally explained to me who Happy Chandler was, as a friend donated a 1946 Happy Chandler baseball to the Negro Leagues Museum, here locally (I always asked, why is a happy Gilmore baseball, so important, couldn't get the name correct).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Why do you say right winger, may not be a film for you?
    ).
    Because in the limited world view of social justice warriors, those on the political right do not like to see African Americans, or any brown skinned persons for that matter, succeed in life.

Such a flawed outlook, but what are ya gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Because in the limited world view of social justice warriors, those on the political right do not like to see African Americans, or any brown skinned persons for that matter, succeed in life.
    I've always been impressed with how knowledgeable those folks are as opposed to regular schlubs like me, they almost always know things I simply don't.

Some recent examples: People who are against vaccine mandates are really against vaccines and want people to die. At any given time there are approximately 100,000 children on ventilators due to covid. Racist police officers murder over 1000 black men each year in the US. Anyone striving for a color blind society is racist. Being attracted only to those of the opposite sex makes you homophobic. Males can get pregnant and females can produce sperm.

I often worry about the state of my education realizing that I don't know these things.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Such a flawed outlook, but what are ya gonna do.
    I thought you'd respond. Thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've always been impressed with how knowledgeable those folks are as opposed to regular schlubs like me, they almost always know things I simply don't.
    Question for ya, is there such a thing as expertise? For instance, are regular schlubs like you and I as good as the experts in everything? In some things? Would you want me to work on your car or a certified mechanic? Would you do the surgery on your loved one or would you prefer surgeon with an MD and experience?

People who are against vaccine mandates are really against vaccines and want people to die.
    I am also against vaccine mandates. Why? Because I think we're all better off in the long run if MAGA do not get vaccinated.

At any given time there are approximately 100,000 children on ventilators due to covid.
    This is not a claim I'd believe without seeing a couple legit studies. Who made this claim, besides you for this comment?

Racist police officers murder over 1000 black men each year in the US.
    Who made this claim? I'd be skeptical of it without seeing some legit studies.

Anyone striving for a color blind society is racist.
    Question, can an individual, maybe yourself, be "color blind" but a larger society and/or its institutions and legal fabric have racist policies? Can both be true at once?

Being attracted only to those of the opposite sex makes you homophobic.
    I am straight. I only like women. But I have never been called homophobic in my life. And I have gone to university and worked for universities for my entire adult life -- so I have been around many GLBTQ folks in these contexts. So I am not sure why you make a bizarre claim that ppl think being straight MAKES you homophobic.

Males can get pregnant and females can produce sperm.
    What are you really getting at here? Is this an oblique way of saying transwomen are not real women, or something like that?

I often worry about the state of my education realizing that I don't know these things.
    You could audit university classes in Ohio for free at public universities. But then that would mean conversing with folks who have expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I thought you'd respond. Thanks for playing!
    Well you know, TMS set it up. I couldn't resist.

The Wise Latina is never wrong because she is wise. Perhaps she may displace a decimal point or two on occasion.but does that really matter if you are in the right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    This is not a claim I'd believe without seeing a couple legit studies. Who made this claim, besides you for this comment?
    Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

Who made this claim? I'd be skeptical of it without seeing some legit studies.
    Various informal polls of minority populations.

What are you really getting at here? Is this an oblique way of saying transwomen are not real women, or something like that?
    I'm not saying they're not women, I'm saying I didn't know they were women until social justice warriors with liberal arts majors advised me of the 'science' of gender, again just another example of things other people 'know' but I somehow didn't.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I worry that if we drag baseball into the racial essentialism circus, it will soon be no better than football.

Thread Information