Thread: Avocado supply chain disruption

Avocado supply chain disruption

From my local coop…

Just when we were getting in the swing of the winter avocado season, there's been an unprecedented move by the US government to suspend all imports of Mexican avocados. This ban affects all Mexican avocados, including our Fair Trade & organic avocados from Equal Exchange Co-op. This is a particularly tough situation for Equal Exchange, since the import ban is related to problems with drug cartels attempting to control the avocado supply chain—while Equal Exchange is specifically dedicated to creating new supply chains that are not controlled by drug cartels or large corporate interests.

We have avocados on our shelves right now, but once the supply that's already in the country is exhausted, there's a good chance that avocados will be out of stock until this ban is lifted, or until the California avocado season starts up in a month or so. Our hearts go out to the Fair Trade farmers who grow our avocados, as this is a huge hit to their income for the year.

There were threats called to the work phone of a USDA APHIS inspector who was in MX.

F*ck MX.

If there's any upside to global warming, it will be that avocados can be grown in Washington...

There were threats called to the work phone of a USDA APHIS inspector who was in MX.

F*ck MX.
    +1

I won't buy Mexican avocados, now I can do without them for long periods of time, but I admit my cravings were so bad I was going to head off to an avacado farm for them (been before) unless some U.S. ones showed up in the store. But they did show up in the store.

But yea in addition to the drug cartels, there is massive deforestation going on in Mexico to grow them. I won't buy them. But it is possible a few decent producers get caught up in it.

Mostly I can accept they are seasonal, but it's a fairly long season, extended a bit if people bought more than just Hass but people all want Hass (but I find several varieties to be tasty)
    Trees don't grow on money

I usually don't bother to buy avocados here, as a considerably percentage turn out to be quite bad. Somehow they are suffering in handling on the way over to our local market, the nearest market on the mainland appears to have more consistent product.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    +1

I won't buy Mexican avocados, now I can do without them for long periods of time, but I admit my cravings were so bad I was going to head off to an avacado farm for them (been before) unless some U.S. ones showed up in the store. But they did show up in the store.

But yea in addition to the drug cartels, there is massive deforestation going on in Mexico to grow them. I won't buy them. But it is possible a few decent producers get caught up in it.

Mostly I can accept they are seasonal, but it's a fairly long season, extended a bit if people bought more than just Hass but people all want Hass (but I find several varieties to be tasty)
    I won't lose sleep over this issue, that's for sure, for the reasons that ANM mentioned. I like avocados, but they've never been a "must have" in my pantry.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don’t like avacados at all.

I love avacados but only buy them when they are on sale. This is certainly a bummer, especially for the growers in mexico who will be losing income as a result. Thankfully for people in the US california avacados will be in season in about a month so any shortage will be short term.

Just got home from Safeway. Plenty of Mexican avocados and even on sale.

Yes, the ban only lasted about two weeks or less.

Thread Information