Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar guy came out to the house...

Solar guy came out to the house...

We thought our south facing roof would be a perfect perch for solar--the north facing side, clearly not with the large silver maple shading it most of the time. Adding solar was a no-brainer for a while--until the solar salesman came out yesterday.

It clearly makes NO sense for us to go solar. It will save us very little money, and we'd have to cut down at least one tree. You know how I feel about that. The problem is our electric baseboard heat is very expensive. The solar guy was amazed at how's much electricity is used to "supplement" our wood stove which is used almost daily. Not sure if I mentioned it, but DH for some reason feels cold all the time. He doesn't have anything seriously wrong with him, but he's had anemia problems in the past and he has thyroid issues as well, so I think his body thermostat is out of whack. If I keep the bedroom at the right temperature for me, he's too cold and sleeps on his recliner by the wood stove. If I keep the bedroom the right temperature for him, I have to sleep almost naked on top of the covers with arms and legs splayed out.

But that's just a side issue. The main issue is we have to do something to fix our high electric usage. I have considered a mini-split heat pump, and we're looking into that.

The reason I mention the solar guy is that, surprisingly, I was almost relieved when he said that my dream of solar power is dead for us. I'm still working out in my mind how I feel about solar--of course I like that it's renewable energy, but it does come with consequences--the parts to make it are not renewable. People aren't thinking about how best to use it--solar farms are being sited on arable land, and there is even clear-cutting of wooded areas to put solar farms. How ridiculous is that? The solar guy suggested building a pavilion on the south side of our house and then roofing it with solar panels, but another nonstarter because our gardens are back there. We are certainly not giving up gardens for solar panels.

So, while I work out my conflicted feelings on renewable energy solutions, we'll continue with wood, minimize the electric heat if possible, and explore ductless heat pumps and any other solutions available to us. Suggestions are welcomed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Aren't the mini splits electric?
    Electric heat, is still very costly, no matter if it is baseboards, room a/c, heat pump, or mini split.
    Instead of a pavillion, why not a greenhouse.

The people I know who do solar do it for the environment, not necessarily to save money. It’s an investment in the earth.

I guess feeling virtuous AND realizing a cost savings would be lovely, but that’s not real life, for many anyway.

Energy costs up in your neck of the woods are pretty awful. Natural gas that we have in abundance here in the Midwest is reasonable. Of course when we have to kick on that electricity for cooling during the hot muggy months and that ain’t pretty.

Our last house had electric baseboard heat. It was 1400 sq ft. When we went to bed I turned down the heat in all the rooms to 55 except our bedroom and closed the door. It made for a cold morning until it warmed up but cut our bills in half.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The people I know who do solar do it for the environment, not necessarily to save money. It’s an investment in the earth.

I guess feeling virtuous AND realizing a cost savings would be lovely, but that’s not real life, for many anyway.
    Well, first of all I don't think doing things for the environment is "virtuous"--I would say it's common sense. But that's a different philosophical debate.

But if you're talking about being motivated by principle, yes, I am. And both DH and I are interested in cost savings, and happy surprise--if our house had been a good candidate for solar it would have accomplished both cost savings and environmental benefits. Win-win! But alas, our house and property are not solar-friendly.

Terry, our baseboard heaters do not come with thermostats, which is another really maddening thing. The dials are basically "on" and "off". This is why you walk into a bedroom and it's either the Arctic or a sauna. I am looking for a system that will give us better control of our heat, and save us money, and if it's an environmentally-friendly solution, that's the one I'll take.

TMS: the greenhouse idea did graze across my mind yesterday.. it's an interesting potential solution.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine: Do you have a heated mattress pad? DH likes it much warmer in bed than I do, so we set his side on HIGH and my side on 1 or 2.

What about radiant floor heat using water pipes with a wood furnace?

I have a large solar array, about 40kW worth, but it is part of a community effort:

https://energysavings.opalco.com/dec...mmunity-solar/

It produces a surplus to my usage a good part of the year.

Have you considered extra insulation or window upgrades. A while back I had an energy audit done by the local utilities provider for a reasonable amount. They used thermal imaging to indicate weak areas in insulation, doors, and windows as well as a blower test that could help identify air leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, first of all I don't think doing things for the environment is "virtuous"--I would say it's common sense. But that's a different philosophical debate.

But if you're talking about being motivated by principle, yes, I am. And both DH and I are interested in cost savings, and happy surprise--if our house had been a good candidate for solar it would have accomplished both cost savings and environmental benefits. Win-win! But alas, our house and property are not solar-friendly.

Terry, our baseboard heaters do not come with thermostats, which is another really maddening thing. The dials are basically "on" and "off". This is why you walk into a bedroom and it's either the Arctic or a sauna. I am looking for a system that will give us better control of our heat, and save us money, and if it's an environmentally-friendly solution, that's the one I'll take.

TMS: the greenhouse idea did graze across my mind yesterday.. it's an interesting potential solution.
    By not solar friendly, you mean it would cost more than you would make from it. Yes, that was common when the 3 household I knew were doing it. Maybe now in 2022 the technology has advanced enough payout is easier to asses? I don’t know, but it cost them money to invest in earth saving energy. It’s fine that you’re not willing to make that sacrifice. I’m not saying you should, just pointing out—it is a financial sacrifice.

I think you’re doing a decent amount by living in small square footage and not driving a lot.

Thread Information