Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected benefits of living through the pandemic era?

Saving money and cooking at home have been the most positive changes. Not sure why but I am also losing my interest in alcohol of any kind and that will definitely save $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What I have found is that when you don’t drink wine regularly you lose your taste for it. I have not lost my taste for beer but Athletic Brewing company makes great non alcoholic ones that are only 70 calories.
    Not a fan of beer.

I lost 50lbs and quit drinking because I was afraid of getting Covid and dying because of being fat. I have managed to maintain both new habits.
    Being, old, fat, and having lung involvement makes me very leery of Covid.

But it is such a strange virus. You know who survived Covid after being hospitalized for it? One of the people on this season’s tv show “My 600 lb life.” How in the hell did THAT happen? She is 600 lbs, 51 years old, on oxygen daily, has heart problems, very poor circulation, high blood pressure and ? Diabetes? Among other things.

Tell me how this happens? There is no logic.

Her husband did not survive. He was old, chubby, and had advanced heart disease.

I am now in the normal weight range but I do have moderate asthma. I am not going to hide out for the remainder of my life as this virus is here to stay unfortunately. Also it appears that eventually everyone will get it. It’s like trying to avoid the common cold. I also exercise daily. I will continue to take booster shots.

The fact that it IS such a strange virus is what makes it so scary - in my opinion.

Edited to add: tt, there is a big difference between "hiding out" and taking common sense, easy precautions - again, for oneself and others. Again, in my opinion.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am now in the normal weight range but I do have moderate asthma. I am not going to hide out for the remainder of my life as this virus is here to stay unfortunately. Also it appears that eventually everyone will get it. It’s like trying to avoid the common cold. I also exercise daily. I will continue to take booster shots.
    I think the duration of time one is willing to "hide out" has a lot to do with how many years are likely in their remainder of life. For instance, a friend of mine is 70. Today she left her self-imposed lockdown and went to interact with the infecteds. Why? She said she "wanted her life back." But for her, she has had 70 good years of life. She knows she probably only has 5-10 more years. So if covid takes her, it is less of a loss than a person in their 40s.

For her to lock down another year could could mean she dies in lockdown...or at least 10-20 percent of her remaining years were in lockdown.

For someone who is 40 now, another year of lockdown is a much smaller percentage of his likely remaining years. But if he goes out amongst the infecteds and turns... and gets long covid. That could be decades of torture.

This is why I continue to lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Not a fan of beer.
    IL, we DO have something in common! I'm not a fan of beer and definitely prefer wine.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I truly cannot think of one good thing I have benefited from during this pandemic. It has been life sucking.

I think, in summary, I could say about the two organizations i mentioned below: the pandemic broke things FOR GOOD that were already decrepit and limping along.

There were many positive things about it and it’s not over yet.

I enjoyed less frenzied months of May without iris Society organized activities. I just visited several iris gardens twice. Normally I can only get to them one time.

I found Zoom meetings in other organizations to be more productive because people don’t quack on about social stuff so much, We got the business done and got off the computer.

The pandemic forced alternate ways of having a Flower Shows. I participated in three virtual Flower shows, one of them even “official.” We are continuing one of those this year because once they get the technology set up, it’s good to keep it going. What is cool is that we can have our fellow lily growers from the other hemisphere sending photos of their lilies to participate.

just overall for us, a slower pace of life with fewer obligations. I like that.

My extroverted friends and relatives got to experience what it is like when your natural lifestyle is considered anti-social and you are constantly pressured or forced to behave in ways that are unnatural, stressful, and socially awkward.

Thread Information