Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected benefits of living through the pandemic era?

I have loved the change of pace as others have mentioned and will continue this peaceful way of life. I have loved the zoom options for meetings and the new situations that have been made possible because of zoom. Walking the dog daily has kept up my social interaction with friends and neighbours. We had an extended period where restrictions were reduced and visited freely wearing a mask or being spaced 6 feet apart.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    My extroverted friends and relatives got to experience what it is like when your natural lifestyle is considered anti-social and you are constantly pressured or forced to behave in ways that are unnatural, stressful, and socially awkward.
    Good point. Although I'm nearly feral at this point.
    I like that there are many more choices for contact-free commerce these days.
    And remote work opportunities! And, it seems to me, fewer solicitors!

I have enjoyed doing yoga via Zoom more than in-person.
    I was pleased that DH and I discovered some great local destinations when we were unable to travel.

I’ve been thinking more about the covid trade offs

dh and I are also doing yoga at home. I like it. The thing I never liked about yoga was all the people. Also, now we are not driving and can fit it into our own daily rhythm.

curbside pick up. I love curbside pick up. My Dd has her first child and she has no idea how blessed she is to have curbside pick up.

fewer social events and a good reason not to go.

my inlaws visit less.

more time with my grown kids because they are less busy.

Dh works from home now and took over the cooking!

for a while my county extension office offered really good programs that would normally have been in a time that I could not attend at a place that was too far - sadly, that stopped.

less restaurant food, all eaten in the comfort of my own home (Dh likes to eat out. I don’t really like restaurants - they are full of strangers. Also, the food is less healthy and I tend to overeat.)

less money spent on gas (Dh commute)

no meetings with parents. (Yes, this conference could have been a short series of carefully thought out emails!) cutting the face to face is an advantage for me because I often don’t pick up on nonverbal cues and tone, and my own tone and facial expressions tend to be inaccurate if I don’t consciously moderate them. - because: I feel threatened by the fact that there is a person I don’t know well within four feet if me and I have to interact with that person - whose child is doing great! But my face and tone say “there is a big problem here” (it’s you) and not “ your kid is amazing and makes me happy.” (What my words are trying to say) also, think about the word “ok.” Literally it means something is fine. Now imagine all the different tones you can say it in - now it means many other things “stop right there, I’m angry” “hold on, I don’t understand” “what you just said is nuts”… I usually hear “that is fine.” Then the next words arrive and I become confused because you just said things were fine.

As a extrovert I missed all the in person events. So happy to have that back. Carry out food is cold by the time you get home. I prefer yoga in person.

Introverts and extroverts are different. Diversity is usually a good thing.

The whales that summer in Alaska were happier.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58032702

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Introverts and extroverts are different. Diversity is usually a good thing.
    But we are better.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But we are better.

Since I work in a healthcare related field, my job didn't change much and I spent no time in lockdown at home. It's something I probably would have enjoyed, as I seem to not have time for relaxing at home.

A few benefits:

Sadly my cousin passed away from Covid in April 2020 and I was his executor. This was a huge undertaking for me and taught me that I'm capable of managing loads of paperwork, forms, legal issues, making phone calls, clearing out a cluttered house, and being in charge of my own inherited financial portfolio AND managing my sister's inherited trust.

Avoiding people I don't want to interact with due to social distancing. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for chit chatting.

Appreciating being alive and healthy. I had a very mild case of Covid early in 2020; we lost about twenty residents at work and many others due to their health declining (from Covid and isolation). It was heartbreaking going to work each morning and hearing that two or three had died during the night.

I've become more grateful for my job. It's frustrating and stressful and trying at times, but I had a regular paycheck when many others did not. And so many people appreciated our hard work and showed us by donating food, food and more food! Gosh, it's a miracle I stayed strong and avoided all the bagels and donuts and enjoyed the food I like.

I'm a huge baby about getting shots. My Covid vaccines were nothing at all. I may even consider getting a shingles vaccine in the near future.

Since it took me four months to get a hair appointment, I now give myself a buzzcut every 3-4 weeks. Wish I did this years and years ago. It's saving me money and keeps my hair perfect all the time.

Thread Information