Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think COVID qualifies as a minor apocalypse?

"Freedom" is highly subjective, apparently.

My dad used to tell me: my freedom to swing my fist ends where your nose begins. The entire history of civilization has been the attempt to define “my fist” and “your nose”.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    My dad used to tell me: my freedom to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.
    I think that's an admirable rule to live by, including using the government as my proxy to swing its fist for me. That's what mandates do, use government to assault someone for me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Clarification is not a trick, although I can see how mis-representers may see it that way.
    What is truly amazing is that someone who has no notable credentials and posts on an internet forum is somehow the nation's authority on the history of the American Revolution and the founding of the nation. LOL

Dr. Alan, prominent US historian (don't pronounce the "h")? I cannot wait for your books to be published on what the founding fathers actually, really, truly believed. It is like you are the only one who knows. I can't wait until you're discovered by Harvard or University of Michigan.

Bro, come on. I am likely more knowledgeable and likely more credentialed than you on the topic, and I am by no means an authority. I am a schlub. The difference is that I know I am a schlub and that there are others out there who are experts because I attended their lectures at a proper university, took their classes, and read huge tomes by real historians about the American revolution and our nation's early history.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think that's an admirable rule to live by, including using the government as my proxy to swing its fist for me. That's what mandates do, use government to assault someone for me.
    World War 2 rationing mandates. Would you have followed them?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Well, you do see a lot of people who want to use the present situation as an opportunity to make “freedom” a dirty word. Dictators talk about unity a lot. I like living in a country where we don’t walk in lockstep even for “the common good”.
    World War 2 rationing mandates. Would you have followed them? They were for the common good... Which is taboo, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think if freedom has become a dirty word it's because of people blabbering on about freedumbs to oppose pandemic measures. Yea, so sensible people recoil, freedom is crazy lunatics endangering everyone's health, okay then ... hard pass.
    These are the same types of people that would have resented and probably skirted the World War 2 rationing mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Dude, we are talking about a mask that slows spread of a deadly disease to our fellow Americans. We are not talking about an empire colonizing our nation. FFS, bro. Get a grip.

Did you post these quotes all over the place when ya boys in the GOP were doing the PATRIOT ACT? Doubt it.
    The Patriot act was largely wrong then and it’s wrong now, and I wonder why the anointed one Barack Obama had eight years to work to get it repealed and he didn’t.

And yet, I see mask mandates as the government LITERALLY protecting people’s noses… and so the history of civilization continues….

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The Patriot act was largely wrong then and it’s wrong now, and I wonder why the anointed one Barack Obama had eight years to work to get it repealed and he didn’t.
    Do presidents repeal laws?

Thread Information