Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think COVID qualifies as a minor apocalypse?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    That is a very sad thing, but I - optimistically - still believe there are more people doing good/caring for other people rather than going about in anger and selfishness. I still believe that it's the quiet, little, often simple acts of kindness from one person to another that make the biggest differences and spread so much joy and happiness.
    Would simple acts of kindness from one person to another have stopped polio?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That is true. And that is not something government can mandate.
    There is a small fraction of truth to it. But I think something like a cure for childhood cancer or clean water for everyone would be more universally effective. And those things require massive coordinated effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Would simple acts of kindness from one person to another have stopped polio?
    Not talking about simple acts of kindness being cures for illnesses and diseases - although I believe there have been findings that happy people tend to be healthier (mentally and physically) than unhappy people.* Talking about simple acts of kindness as reaching out to others with actions/reactions in positive ways rather than anger, etc.

*You can research this yourself as I'm heading out soon!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Not talking about simple acts of kindness being cures for illnesses and diseases - although I believe there have been findings that happy people tend to be healthier (mentally and physically) than unhappy people.* Talking about simple acts of kindness as reaching out to others with actions/reactions in positive ways rather than anger, etc.

*You can research this yourself as I'm heading out soon!
    I think wearing a mask to prevent the spread of covid is a small act of kindness I can do. And when we all do it in concert the impact is great.

But right wing nutjobs (not you) see this as an affront to their freedom. When they go around maskless exhaling covid on people they see themselves as Parick Henry or Geroge Washington -- fighting for our freedom! LOL Talk about being comically grandiose!

When our mask mandate came back I always complied. However, stores said that they weren’t going to have their employees remind customers because people became abusive and sometimes violent. I took a friend of mine to the doctor last week and they had a huge standing sign noting that they weren’t going to put up with any abusive behavior. How sad that they had to do that. Any place that are still requiring masks have signs up on the door. I keep one in my purse and 2 in my car in case someone needs it.

My friend has always been very hearing impaired and depends on reading people’s lips. He also has a speech impediment which is common with a childhood hearing loss. He definitely needed me to be his interpreter at times and I had to remind the doctor about his issues even though he had been going there for years. Finally they both had to remove masks to have a conversation. The doctor should be wearing a clear mask. I am sure this is a issue for many people with hearing issues especially as they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When our mask mandate came back I always complied. However, stores said that they weren’t going to have their employees remind customers because people became abusive and sometimes violent. I took a friend of mine to the doctor last week and they had a huge standing sign noting that they weren’t going to put up with any abusive behavior. How sad that they had to do that. Any place that are still requiring masks have signs up on the door. I keep one in my purse and 2 in my car in case someone needs it.

My friend has always been very hearing impaired and depends on reading people’s lips. He also has a speech impediment which is common with a childhood hearing loss. He definitely needed me to be his interpreter at times and I had to remind the doctor about his issues even though he had been going there for years. Finally they both had to remove masks to have a conversation. The doctor should be wearing a clear mask. I am sure this is a issue for many people with hearing issues especially as they get older.
    Handy dandy pen and paper can help. Write stuff down. Read it. It is nifty.

Did you post these quotes all over the place when ya boys in the GOP were doing the PATRIOT ACT? Doubt it.
    I try to consistently remind people of our founding principles whenever they mis-represent them.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I try to consistently remind people of our founding principles whenever they mis-represent them.
    Don't we all feel that way? Same trick with the Bible and the Quran.

Don't we all feel that way? Same trick with the Bible and the Quran.
    Clarification is not a trick, although I can see how mis-representers may see it that way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think if freedom has become a dirty word it's because of people blabbering on about freedumbs to oppose pandemic measures. Yea, so sensible people recoil, freedom is crazy lunatics endangering everyone's health, okay then ... hard pass.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information