Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think COVID qualifies as a minor apocalypse?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What is truly amazing is that someone who has no notable credentials and posts on an internet forum is somehow the nation's authority on the history of the American Revolution and the founding of the nation. LOL

Dr. Alan, prominent US historian (don't pronounce the "h")? I cannot wait for your books to be published on what the founding fathers actually, really, truly believed. It is like you are the only one who knows. I can't wait until you're discovered by Harvard or University of Michigan.

Bro, come on. I am likely more knowledgeable and likely more credentialed than you on the topic, and I am by no means an authority. I am a schlub. The difference is that I know I am a schlub and that there are others out there who are experts because I attended their lectures at a proper university, took their classes, and read huge tomes by real historians about the American revolution and our nation's early history.
    You are free to refute my opinions with yours, of if you can't you can rail against the opinion holder. Is that how professional Historians do it?

Out of curiosity, which of my founders quotes clarifying your mis-representation of founding intent pissed you off?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You are free to refute my opinions with yours, of if you can't you can rail against the opinion holder. Is that how professional Historians do it?

Out of curiosity, which of my founders quotes clarifying your mis-representation of founding intent pissed you off?
    Okay, so now your supposed expertise is just your opinion. I think you're making some progress.

Were the founding fathers wrong about anything? Serious question.

Do presidents repeal laws?
    Notice my careful wording “ work to get it repealed. “ That is what Presidents do, exert leadership and craft Congressional deals.

I did not ask why President Obama failed to “ repeal” the law because obviously he could not, even if he wanted to which obviously he did not.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Notice my careful wording “ work to get it repealed. “ That is what Presidents do, exert leadership and craft Congressional deals.

I did not ask why President Obama failed to “ repeal” the law because obviously he could not, even if he wanted to which obviously he did not.
    Why did your boy GWB and his cronies pass it?

Deflection and projection -- the conservative way.

World War 2 rationing mandates. Would you have followed them?
    Crickets. haha

Bueller? Bueller?

Okay, so now your supposed expertise is just your opinion. I think you're making some progress.
    I've never claimed expertise but do appreciate the attribution from someone as notable as you, even with the 'supposed' modifier.

Were the founding fathers wrong about anything? Serious question.

Yes, I think they were wrong to think the liberty from government intrusion they risked their lives and fortunes to secure would persist into future generations who no longer have a basis of comparison.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The initial Patriot Act passed the Senate 98-1. That indicates more than a few Democrats voted for it.

Senator Paul did not vote for it, principled oddball though he was. Father of Rand.

It passed the House by a vote of 357 - 66, and in the Senate by a vote of 98 - 1.
    I think you may be right about my ignorance of American History since I had no idea the Democrats were so under-represented in Congress during that period.

I think you may have mis-spelled Ultralight, but maybe that's just my lack of credentials showing.

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again, where/when does one person's freedom end when it violates another person's freedom? MOST people (I believe!) know how to compromise - big and unknown word for some folks, I know! But there are folks, as we all know, that are only concerned with themselves at the expense of others. Whose "rights", when conflicts arise, take precedent?

My own answer to this is that it is often a huge grey area and very case-by-case. Again, MOST people are caring and compassionate and concerned and aware of their actions upon others, but there are those few whose selfishness, unhappiness, anger and/or sense of entitlement just wreck havoc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

World War 2 rationing mandates. Would you have followed them?
    Crickets. haha

Bueller? Bueller?
    That's hard to say since I'd probably have been one of those out of country during the period, maybe in Europe or perhaps the Pacific theater. If I had escaped the horrors of war by dumb luck or perhaps sequestering myself into the relative safety of academia, as some are inclined to do, I'd probably have respected the rationing efforts as a matter of civic mindedness while still protesting the governments heavy handed efforts to diminish my patriotic frugality by enforced mandate.

I feel the same way about the idea of government mandates today.

Thread Information