Thread: Broken removable showerhead...

Broken removable showerhead...

Dig this. A few weeks back my showerhead broke. It is the removable kind with a hose so you can luxuriously spray yourself, or super speed shower if you are in a hurry.

The water pressure on mine suddenly reduced to about 20%.

This sucked!

The one I bought just before the pandemic went out the same way. So in early 2021 I bought a new one. It worked great! Until 3 weeks ago.

I don't want to order one online, I'd prefer to buy one at Lowe's so I can easily return it if it doesn't work.

But with infecteds certainly roaming around Lowe's I wasn't about to go there to buy one, let alone return it.

So I commenced to doing the most mechanical thing I have ever done. I took the showerhead apart piece by piece. I examined each component and tested them one by one.

Turns out the internal component that I think makes the showerhead "water effiicent" was siezed up. This prevented flow.

So I took one of the few tools I own, a small Philips screwdriver and I simply bored out that hole manually.

I put it all back together and tested it.

Works great! Water pressure is better than before!

And I didn't need to spend money or interact with infecteds.

Nice job, UL. Always feels good to be able to solve a problem without just rushing out to buy something new.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Probably need to soak it in vinegar on occasion. Was it lime build up?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Probably need to soak it in vinegar on occasion. Was it lime build up?
    Are you trolling me? Lime?

Calcium carbonate buildup aka lime. It's a thing when you have water with high mineral content.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Calcium carbonate buildup aka lime. It's a thing when you have water with high mineral content.
    Right, it forms crystals, gunky stuff that blocks the hole. I bet you have very hard water there.
    Great job not buying something but fixing it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Right, it forms crystals, gunky stuff that blocks the hole. I bet you have very hard water there.
    Great job not buying something but fixing it yourself!
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Good to know!
    In the future you can correct the problem without removing the shower head, just put some white vinegar in a baggie and then secure the baggie to the shower head with a rubber band, making sure the head is submerged in the liquid. Leave it there overnight and it will dissolve all the calcium buildup.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The new shower head I got had similarly lame flow, and upon taking it apart I found 2 different flow restricting mechanisms, which were quickly sorted out :-)

There's probably a market for vintage non-low-flow showerheads out there. I bet you can still buy them in Canada.

Thread Information