Page 42 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Important Subjects

Okay---You kids are no doubt sitting there, watching Dr Phil & Maury Povich & Steve Wiko & court tEE-vEE shows, to pass the time and also get some credits toward your degree in Abnormal Psychology. I just hate to interrupt your programming day, but it's time for me to discuss the outcome of my recent trip to the Friends O' the Lirrrarrrarry Annual Book Sale at the Fairgrounds. Well, I didn't use the original strategy to get the most books for my buck. No. See---the books they were selling weren't surplus copies from the lirrrarararys' collection, like I had supposed. Nope. I don't know what they do with those--maybe sell them to a wholesale book dealer, or something. But, the books they were offering 4-sell(for sale)apparently were books donated by individuals to the FOL group, to sell. See? Well, I went in there on Friday afternoon, and there were people there shopping for books----mainly fiction---who evidently don't venture outside very much until after dark. I did spot a lovely 30-something as she was leaving with some books, and followed her to her car, because she was parked next to me. I took this as a sign--an omen---that she wanted me to follow her home, so I could find out where she lived. Then, research it further and open a new case file on her in my auction-score school surplus 4-drawer metal file cabinet. Then, I can add more to her dossier as I research her case & find out where she goes to church & stuff. That way, when I show up at her church services, I can strike up a conversation with her about about our common bond---used books. I really don't care if she's already "in a relationship". Ha. Look at Charles Bronson & Jill Ireland, and of course Edde & Liz & Jennie and Mick and Eric & Patti and all the other hollyweirdos! They have the scruples of a cat, and I like cats. Except, when they leave cute little dead bunnies & birds on my doorstep as a token of their esteem for littlebittymee. Ha. There's a bunny, rain-soaked, lying out there right now, that I must see to this afternoon. Anyway, I DID get some books---nonfiction---all four about great leaders. Yup. I'm about halfway through the first one, but had to bookmark it, for a day or two. To be continued. Thank Mee.

Our FOL has a dedicated room at the library with books for sale all the time, paperbacks 50 cents and hardcovers one dollar, and you can fill a tote bag for 5 bucks. They just recently started accepting donations again, and this was their announcement:
    The Friends of the Library are asking for donations of gently-used adult hardcover and softcover fiction for the ongoing book sale in the Community Room.
    They would also appreciate donations of gently-used children's books.
    Please limit donations at this time to only fiction and children's books; we do not have storage space for other genres or media.
    Please....clean and newer books only. No tattered pages, bad odors, stains, or dirty covers!
    Books may be dropped off at the main circulation desk during business hours. Please do not place donations in the outdoor book drops.
    I am careful to meet their exacting specifications when I donate books to them.

Okay---50 years ago, today. Italialia Flight 112 crashed in a controlled flight into terrain(as they say), resulting in fatalities of all 115 aboard. They were flying in an approach pattern to land, and were a bit too low to clear the mountain peak in their path. "Missed it by that much", as Maxwell Smart would say. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.2022-05-06.jpg

I've been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty!

Quote: "That Man is richest, whose pleasures are the cheapest"---H D Thoreau

Okay----just replaced the control box for the well pump. But, apparently, that's not all it needs. We had a severe lightening storm close by, Friday night. Other than that, I don't want to discuss it. Nope. But, to cheer myself up, I'm listening to one of my 500 favorite songs. It's a studio recording by one-hit wonders, which are my favorite kind. Not going to their concerts, don't have all their albums, or T-shirts proclaiming my adoration. Nope. But, yeah---It's the 1978 Disco-Funk "Boogie Oogie Oogie" by Taste of Honey. Yup. Also, I took a couple minutes and wrote an awesome & amay-zeen Americana Song for you kids. I'll have to wait until I have a head cold & sore throat, before I record it. Laryngitis would help, too. I can't play guitar, really, but allI need to do it strum it a few dozen times, slowly, and then enunciate the lyrics. It goes: "My Daddy and his Daddy and his Daddy and his Daddy and his Daddy and his Daddy before himmmmm"(strum a few times) and then: "My Mama and her Mama and her Mama and her Mama and her Mama and her Mama before herrrr." Strum & repeat first and second verse. It's VERY sentimental. I prolly will record it before a LIVE drunk studio audience,with everyone applauding and singing along, so you'll just KNOW I'm a legend in my time. I call myself: "Willie Billie Bobbie Hank". Yup. Thankk Mee.

Okay---here's another bike, for you. It's strictly Packy-Powered, which I spose makes it severely outmoded, for The Cool People. Yup. I don't know what the top speed is; it doesn't go very fast, but it goes pretty far. It's a 1990 model. The frame is one that the different tubes are glued together. The fork is aluminum, too. See, they used an alloy that is described as "unweldable". That's what I read. It is 3 x9 speed. Yup. It started out with 7 speed, but I changed it out for some large cogs, instead of an electric motor & battery. I installed a VERY compfterbal seat, an almost new dealer take-off from a LIV wimmins bike. So you know it's compfterbal. Those wheels I bought from a young guy who replaced them with some Plastic weelz for cool people. Got 'em pretty cheep, too. But--three years ago, a rear spoke broke, and what I did was re-spoke the entire rear weel with thicker spokes. How do you like that? That bike does fit me pretty well, after changing out the stem & bars & seat. You'll notice that compared to some bikes, the bars seem high, relative to the seat height. Well, that's the way it is. That ol' bike is connected to Outer Space, Via Garmin. Yup. 2022-05-08.jpg

Oh, another thing is---that bike has 700-25 tires--- Schwalbe Marathon is the brand and model. They are one tough tire, too. You'll notice that I have no bottle racks; what I have is that rack bag that I put a plastic insert in, so it can hold cool refreshments to hydrate along the way. No need to go into convenience stores, and my usual routes don't have c-stores along them, anyway. So, I pack my own water. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Okay---I see where summa you kids are discussing Jap-o-neez music, so I figured I throw in my littlebitty 2 cents worth. See---back in the early 60's, '63, maybe---there was Kyu Sakamoto, who had what we all call a one-hit wonder. Yup. He had a song that was informally titled "Sukiyaki", because the Japanese language title was unpronounceable. Or so they said. Anyway, it was a hit---#1 in Norway! Yah. I remember it, though, in the Pacific NW. Then, he kind of just did his career in Japan, until 1985. See---what happened was, he was aboard JAL Flight 123, Bound from Tokyo to Osaka, which experienced a catastrophic structural failure, which caused the plane to go out of control. The pilots managed to hang on, and keep the aircraft going, but it finally crashed into Mount Takamaguhara. The final death toll was 520(including Sakamoto), with just 4 survivors. It is THE worst single-aircraft crash in history. Yup. Hope that helps you some. But yeah---give that song a listen. It's on youtube or one of the others. 2022-05-08 (2).jpg

Okay-----Achtung: I forgot to remind you kids yesterday of the anniversary of the Germans formally surrendering on May 7, 1945. I've been reading about the wars in Europe during that time, and it was really a terrible, terrible event. I don't believe any side "won" that one. But, the War Vs Japan had another 3 months to go, with many casualties and much suffering. Plus--waste of nonrenewable resources. But yeah--it was only 77 years ago. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Thread Information