Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boston Accent

I grew up in Maine and am often asked why I don’t have an accent. My mother was from Montreal and father from Massachusetts and they both went to college in the late 40’s and early 50’s.

A high school classmate of mine had her first teaching assignment Down East teaching second grade. She found it challenging teaching young children that “hoss” is spelled with an “r”, Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    That's funny - my experience has been the exact opposite. I have always felt that the South was most unhospitable. Don't be all "yes Mam-ing" me and then blessing my heart the moment I walk off!
    I always found the south to be more cliquey than class conscious.

I always found the south to be more cliquey than class conscious.
    Well, I don't see class consciousness as a bad thing - awareness of one's class and inherited place in society can - and should - lead to a better understanding of people in other walks of life. Understanding generally precludes contempt, and often leads one to a realization that one is not, in fact, solely responsible for any good fortune that may come ones way. So to my way of thinking, class consciousness can encourage actions which benefit others. Cliquey, to me, is that "mean girls" group from junior high, which discourages insight into ones own character and belief system. As always, YMMV.

Thread Information