Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring!

Yppej
    Phlox!

Finally have bright sun shining and clothes out on the line.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We had gradually been getting warmer until sunday when a cold snap moved through for a few days and we were having dead of winter temperatures (mid 50's for a high, lows in the low 40's) but with the luxury of longer days. Miraculously SO put up with it being cold (63/64ish) in the house in the morning rather than turning on the furnace. Today was the first day to break that trend, getting up to 76. Tomorrow is supposed to be the warmest day of the year so far, with a predicted high of 83 followed by highs in the 70s for the forseeable future. I even got out our backyard umbrella in the expectation of needing it to sit outside tomorrow afternoon.

And, as if to confirm that spring really has sprung here, the ultimate spring-like thing happened this afternoon. A mama turkey went walking past the back of our house this afternoon with a brood of maybe 10 little tiny baby turkeys. I assume they weren't all hers since the turkeys really do seem to live by the ethos of "it takes a village". They were all munching on the bugs that hang out in the deer's salad bar that runs up the hill behind us. Such an awesome end to a tiring work week.

Yppej
    Lilacs.

Villagewide garage sales in full force here. Went yesterday and thought of IL... met a wonderful English Bulldog named Louie and another pup named Etta (French Bulldog). They both were so loving and exuberant!

I believe we've only had a handful of days where the temps went over 70, and then yesterday it was 86! So we were running our heat earlier in the week and then running all our fans yesterday. I was wearing my winter coat for early morning walks at the beginning of the week, and yesterday I was just in a t-shirt.

Yppej
    Azaleas. Love this time of year!

Not really ever a true spring here. High 80s yesterday and snow tonight. I just went out and dug up newly planted peppers to bring inside as it will be near or below freezing. Covered the tomatoes and other plants with buckets and boxes.

Yppej
    Rhododendrons, chives in bloom.

I just got back from my community branch drop off with the second pickup load after all the damage from the recent weekend snow breakage. They only allow residential drop offs and branches were piled about 20 feet high and in a row as long as a couple of football fields. Several other front range towns also had treemagedon. After the driest April on record. Spring is still nice regardless.

Thread Information