Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Containers!

Food Containers!

We recently had a family gathering for the new grandbaby blessing at Church. My children went to Costco to pick up some food for the brunch after. I could not get over the plastic waste from the huge clamshell containers. 3 large plastic containers for the croissants, another for the eggs, others for the fruit, cake, etc. As empty nesters we have the smallest available trash can. I ended up having to cut them up and nest them, but hey still took up about 1/3 of my dumpster. They really need to find a way to re-cycle that stuff.

Likewise, ordering takeout from Red Robin, Olive Garden, etc also produces a huge amount of plastic waste. We try to reuse the OG take out containers. Of course there was a pizza night so a couple of huge pizza boxes that can't be re-cycled (food waste on cardboard).

Maybe as we enter an period of much more expensive oil, recycling of plastics will come back into vogue. Hate the thought of filling our landfills with so much plastic.

I too I’ve been recently horrified at the amount of plastic in food containers that just last long enough to get the food home then they get tossed? protecting the food during shipping is important, i guess, often long distances, but yeah it’s pretty awful.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-13-22 at 10:34am.

I wonder why oil and chemical companies from which plastics are made aren't held more accountable for the massive amount of plastic out there.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I wonder why oil and chemical companies from which plastics are made aren't held more accountable for the massive amount of plastic out there.

Kind of like wondering why the car companies aren't more accountable for drunk drivers.

You're right. As long as we keep buying it...

Although we rarely eat out or get take-out beyond Chinese (cardboard boxes - yay!), I've often asked for non-styrofoam or non-plastic containers to take my leftovers home. In a friendly way! Minimally - and depending on the food - a few restaurants have been willing and able to wrap my leftovers in a piece of foil!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yes it’s really ridiculous! I wash them and then when I send people home with leftovers I use them.

One could bring their own takeaway containers--at least for leftovers.

Amazon Fresh has recently taken to wrapping their frozen foods in layers of paper, which replaces their previous plastic-wrapped fabric waste. And their plastic bags are supposedly biodegradable now. Washington has banned Styrofoam containers:

The new law, signed Monday by Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, restricts restaurants’ use of disposable plastic items, requires recycled content in some plastic bottles and bags, and bans most uses of polystyrene foam, including cups, clamshell containers, packing peanuts, and coolers.

Supporters call it the nation’s toughest law on plastics.
    (KUOW.org)

Ridwell recycles clamshells here for a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes it’s really ridiculous! I wash them and then when I send people home with leftovers I use them.
    I do this same thing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Back before the pandemic Dd took me to a really good Indian restaurant (took as in physically - i paid) the portion sizes were huge though, and we each ended up with a second dinner in a styrofoam clam shell.

a while later I suggested we go back. When I reached the point where I couldn’t eat any more, she said “I’m surprised you didn’t bring a container!” I pulled it out of my purse. She said “oh my god. At least you didn’t bring one for me.” I handed her hers. She rolled her eyes, but she used it.

there was a short period of time when we could recycle type one clamshell style packaging, but that is over, so I have given up buying a bunch of things that are packaged that way. I am baking more.

Thread Information