Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jury duty summons

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Somehow I messed up my above post. I meant to give kudos to LDAHL for understanding the privilege women enjoy in being granted lighter sentences than a man would get for a same crime. I have real problems with this, I really do. Rob
    I was speaking sarcastically. My understanding was that the difference in sentencing was largely explainable by the sad fact that most of the senior level positions in crime were occupied by males, that males often add additional violent flourishes to a given offense, and that the additional criminal career opportunities enjoyed by men favor the longer sentencing that often goes with recidivism.

I don’t see a victim class here.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    You've been drinking the Men's Rights Activist Koolaid still, I see. Fun fun.
    Expecting sentencing equality makes me an MRA? Nope. Sorry. Such just makes me human. Rob

How is her lying in a specific case any different than police officers frequently outright lying in reports/omitting facts? Police officers are actually starting to be prosecuted for this Thank God. Why should prosecutors be immune? Honestly, you say I'm out there which I can accept. On this one I find you equally out there. Your take allows an exploitive institution to retain it's status quo - mine doesn't. Rob
    As always, you ascribe ideas to me I don’t have. It is tiring talking to you.

IL should you ever set foot in Phoenix - or I in Missouri - please let's meet for coffee. I'm really curious what our takes on each other would be IRL. Rob

IL should you ever set foot in Phoenix - or I in Missouri - please let's meet for coffee. I'm really curious what our takes on each other would be IRL. Rob
    While I would like to say that will not likely happen since I intensely dislike the idea of Arizona, we have friends who moved to Lake Havasu and they always want us to come and visit.

As it is, I am returning to The Great West in a couple of weeks to attend the National iris convention in Las Cruces where I had a miserable vacation in 2017. I am hoping this trek will be more enjoyable. It has to be, looking at thousands of iris.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    While I would like to say that will not likely happen since I intensely dislike the idea of Arizona, we have friends who moved to Lake Havasu and they always want us to come and visit.

As it is, I am returning to The Great West in a couple of weeks to attend the National iris convention in Las Cruces where I had a miserable vacation in 2017. I am hoping this trek will be more enjoyable. It has to be, looking at thousands of iris.
    Enjoy! I was thinking of moving to Las Cruces for awhile but now Nogales seems much more practical. Anyway , maybe we will meet up.someday. I think it would.be.interesting. Rob

@Tradd, just saw this post. Served at 26th and Cal years ago on a murder case. It wasn't that great then but today? No way would I go there tbh. One good thing about moving out of Cook county (now in Lake) was that I didn't have to serve there again. Had no problem serving at other locations (Bridgeview, Lombard, downtown Chicago even) but was not comfortable going to that area again.

Is having your service moved to one of the suburban locations an option?

Quote Originally Posted by saguaro View Post
    @Tradd, just saw this post. Served at 26th and Cal years ago on a murder case. It wasn't that great then but today? No way would I go there tbh. One good thing about moving out of Cook county (now in Lake) was that I didn't have to serve there again. Had no problem serving at other locations (Bridgeview, Lombard, downtown Chicago even) but was not comfortable going to that area again.

Is having your service moved to one of the suburban locations an option?
    You can only move service to another courthouse if you’re 70 or over. I’m way younger.

Letter was sent and mailed late in the week. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    You can only move service to another courthouse if you’re 70 or over. I’m way younger.

In 2011 I got really lucky. I was allowed to postpone jury duty until just right before Christmas. I didn't know it at the time but right before the holidays supposedly more people are excused from jury duty. Anyway I called after 5 PM and found out that my whole group was excused.

So here's a tip I was given that worked for me - try to postpone your service until a date ranging from 12/1 to 12/20 or so. It worked in my case once. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

That's unacceptable that your jury duty is potentially in a sketchy, dangerous area. Seriously, is it too much to ask for to have jury duty take place in a safer area? That's way beyond a slap in the face to be put at risk from jury duty. Tradd, I hope you can get out of it. Your reason for getting out of it seems valid to me.....Rob

Thread Information