Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty summons

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Woo hoo! Done! The defendant in the criminal case pleaded guilty so no need for us. We were just let go Almost noon here.
    Glad to hear it given your schedule. Although I have to admit that I value the two times I was on a jury that went through to a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Glad to hear it given your schedule. Although I have to admit that I value the two times I was on a jury that went through to a decision.
    This courthouse works on the one trial one day system. It’s minor criminal stuff as well as civil cases. Another benefit of not going to the ghetto courthouse in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    This courthouse works on the one trial one day system. It’s minor criminal stuff as well as civil cases. Another benefit of not going to the ghetto courthouse in Chicago.
    I have been on several juries, one of the perks (or burdens, depending on your Point of view) of living in crime central.

Two were civil cases, one was criminal. DH was on two juries, one a murder case, one a civil case. He was also on
    grand jury duty for 3 months where he went into court most days.

Okay---I got called up fer jerry dooty, and did my patriotic best to Defend Freedom. Er---Not incarcerate some Dom Ass who had committed armed robbery when he was 18 in Callyfornya, but never shot anybody. But, 40 years later, in Zurra, he got into a Domestic Squabble in his own crappy little rental house, resisted arrest and refused to exit the premises when ordered to and not only that--his Domestic Partner told the po-lice he had a gun in his possession! That's Greaaaat. But yeah---I'm the very last person they'd want on a jury, so I got to leave early. The typical selectees were chunky, middle-aged gals in sweat pants who brought along big, thick novels to read during voir dire. So anyway, I followed up on the outcome, and the guy (of 100% pure hillbilly ancestry) is locked up, serving 30 years in Licking, Mo., same place as my former neighbor.. Yup.

In 18 months I will have the excuse of age for not being on a jury if I get called.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    In 18 months I will have the excuse of age for not being on a jury if I get called.
    Really?? I didn't know you could age out of jury duty. What age would that be in Nevada?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Really?? I didn't know you could age out of jury duty. What age would that be in Nevada?
    I believe you can opt out at 75 in Washington. I got a notice to report for jury duty about a week before my 75th birthday. There was no way I could have served.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I believe you can opt out at 75 in Washington. I got a notice to report for jury duty about a week before my 75th birthday. There was no way I could have served.
    I checked and in Maine it is 80.

In Nevada it’s 70. My friend in Texas turned me onto this as it’s 70 there too.

In Florida, it's also 70. The state seems to have a slant toward older population age anyway, so I wonder if the option to opt out is affecting juror pools. My county median age is 57.3

My mom opted out many years ago due to not driving and being legally blind. She'll be 98 on Wednesday. I think she was around 90 at the time? As an immigrant, she considers jury duty a right and obligation of the citizens and was sad to have to let it go.

I wonder what the future of jury duty pools will look like! I know some time back the persons called for jury duty changed from registered voters to those with a driver license/state is as they were having difficulty fulfilling the need for jurors.

Thread Information